cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Digital Voice Number Retention on Home Move

Good morning

I’m hoping for some advice for an issue with a home move and existing digital voice number retention. 

I moved back to BT for broadband and telephone around a month ago, retaining our current telephone number with the new digital voice service. The number has been used with this property for approximately 85 years, being the second number in our village after the police station and consequently is important to me. 

We are moving to anorher village in a different exchange area on the 1st July and i had hoped to keep the number, as i understood this could be done since digital voice numbers are not attached to the exchange any more. But everyone i’ve spoken to is telling me orherwise, even though the service at the new property is also digital voice!

I have spoken to the home move team, sales team and a manager. I’m hoping that someone on the forums may be able to offer some advice, as i have seen in another post a user in the north east of England who experienced the same issue and someone from BT retentions was able to help them by porting the number and re-attaching the number afterwards. 

Many thanks in advance

Richard

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Digital Voice Number Retention on Home Move

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Please could a moderator contact me regarding this issue, i have been given so much conflicting information by BT agents that i would just like to check properly before accepting that a new number must be allocated.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

You could port the number across to a VOIP supplier. I use Sipgate. The number could then be used anywhere in the UK.  With any broadband supplier

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Thanks Dave

I had considered voip, but my understanding was that digital voice was not attached to any exchange, so could easily be moved to any other area. My old number has already been moved to digital voice over a month ago. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

From a technical perspective that is true, however, I wonder if BT are trying to keep the DV number to be still associated with the geographic area it belonged to as an analogue number for other reasons.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Yes, i agree, it does sound very much like this is the case. They seem very reluctant to allow cross area moves for some reason. If the computer says no, that appears to be the end of the matter!  Such a shame when you have been using the same number dor ao many years, i guess it’s more sentimental than a necessity that i would like to keep the number. 

0 Ratings