cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Digital Voice - Problem Adding Handsets

Go to solution

I was recently transferred to digital voice having been given an 'advanced' handset 18 months ago!  The advanced handset (with Alexa) has performed well since being switched over. Having utilised a BT Premium Trio cordless system with a Trucall device since 2020 I had pre-purchased a BT Digital Voice adaptor to enable the Premium Trio system to continue.  I found that although this worked when first set up, after a while, the Premium handsets did not seem to work as well and ended up removing them, it also transpired that the Truecall unit would no longer work, this was plugged directly into the rear of the Hub2 and 'I got the message' excuse the pun.  I then ordred 3 Essential Digital Voice handsets from EE Store which came yesterday and set them up as advised.  Each handset went through the process of registering and reporting registered as well as being seen on the hub interface BUT there was no handset information shown for the three handsets as there was with the already installed Advanced Digital Voice phone. The Essential handsets immediately went into 'synchronising Handset data' mode and stayed like that until this morning when checked!  Tried all sorts of things such as removing batteries, deregistering, reinstalling but to no avail!  Removed Essential handsets and repackaged for return, meanwhile, eventually had contact from someone at BT who is looking into the problem and escalated the issue and will come back next week!  For the time being I have re-installed the Premium Trio set using the phone socket on the rear of the hub and so far, fingers crossed, they are working fine. The initial Advanced handset is working excellent todate.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Digital Voice - Problem Adding Handsets

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

I'd go ahead with the return, as the original phones will work just fine plugged into the SH2. Only downside is managing two contact lists, but I doubt changing those is an everyday occurrence.

If you want to persevere with the new ones, make sure the batteries are fully charged before you attempt registration. If still no joy, try fresh ones, even a set of alkalines will do as a test. Just don't put the phone on a charging base with them installed.

The batteries generally seem to be poor quality.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

I did change batteries but made no difference! The ones supplied had enough energy to maintain all night and were also on vase to hold charge as sync messagexstill going next day!  Tried resetting, deregistering, resetting hub, to no avail! Much time spent! Do believe there is a problem with software (firmware) not allowing communication between base and handset correctly.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Returned the three 'essential' handsets and received refund. Purchased an advanced handset to test if that had same problem as already had one 'advanced' handset registered and working - SAME PROBLEM!  Holding onto that handset and hopefully BT will find out the problem and fix althoiugh not holding my breath!  Mediator from BT has suggested all sorts of possibilities as to why the phone will not register with the Hub 2, batteries (still movement on screen following day albeit still stuck in 'synchronising handset data'), change Hub (don't see why if first handset connected OK!), reset Hub, (have done and made no difference!).

Beginning to wonder if there is a problem with the software not being able to communicate with the hub such as 'firewall' issue or maybe just the fact that this generation of handsets, Made in China, have an issue!

No doubt time will tell - hope BT recognise and fix issue sooner than later!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Re: Digital voice

Go to solution

I have a problem adding extra handsets! The initial 'advanced' handset originally supplied when changing broadband contract several months previous, registered without problem and is working fine! An old trio of BT cordless handsets now plugged into back of hub and working fine! However, bought 3 'essential' handsets from EE and none would register! The handsets showed on my hub interface (192.168.1.254) but unlike original handset which displayed firmware information for the phone, the essentials were blank. It was almost as though the newer phones were unable to communicate with the hub and were stuck in the 'synchronising handset data' mode! I returned the 3 essential handset then bought an 'advanced' handset! That is still stuck on 'synchronising handset data'!

An engineer was coming out yesterday but that did not transpire!

It seems like a protocol issue might be preventing the later handsets communication with the hub due to problem with software programming or 'firewalk' security issue's!

Will be interesting to see how BT address this?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Re: Digital voice

Go to solution

This post really should have gone on your original thread:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Digital-Voice-Problem-Adding-Handsets/m-p/2...

Although I'm not sure that's much more anyone here can add.

Edit: There must be thousands of users with multiple DV handsets. If there was a generic issue I'm sure there'd be many posts about it. AFAIK, yours is the only one. So given you've tried everything else, it seems a replacement Hub is the next step.

0 Ratings