cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Digital Voice & Yale House Alarm

Hi, I’ve recently upgraded to Digital Voice and didn’t consider the consequences for my Yale home alarm, which rings my mobile if it triggers.

I got a new digital voice phone but the alarm doesn’t ring & the phone shows an error.

I’ve also tried plugging my old phone into the green port on the back of the hub but same issue.

Is there a way to make my alarm work with digital voice or do I have to upgrade my alarm system??

Many thanks

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Digital Voice & Yale House Alarm

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

You need to speak to your alarm company. They will have been aware of the move to DV for some time and will be aware of what is required.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

Are you saying that the DV phone has the error?

In that case it could be that the DV service hasn’t been enabled, log into you hub to check this.

A normal phone plugged into the back of the hub should work and if you alarm system was plugged into a normal phone socket this should work as well once you have sorted the possible issue with the DV setup, you will just need a double ended male phone plug from the hub to a phone socket to make it work, I disconnected the old incoming copper wires in the master socket and everything works as expected, there’s  also a good guide on one of the previous posts on the site on what needs to be done.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Thank @Dazzman 

Yes the issue is on the DV phone. But also on a non DV phone when I plugged it in.

I get a “this line is not able to make a call error”

On the DV phone I can make a call, just not via the alarm.

Perhaps I need to sort the double ended male plug as you suggest. Sounds like I also need to disconnect the copper wires in the master socket too. Do you have a link to that post? If not I’ll have a browse around

Cheers!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

Sorry I’m a bit confused as you say you get the error on both the DV and analogue phone and then say you can make a call on the DV phone?

You need to be able to make and receive calls on the DV phone and then on an analogue phone that’s plugged into the green socket on the back of the hub as it could be an issue with your setup.

Once you can make calls on both you should be good to just plug the alarm into the phone socket, unfortunately I’ve not been able to find the link you need on the site.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

I'm not entirely sure what you mean when you say the alarm won't connect to the phone. The alarm won't connect to a handset, it will connect directly to the line. If you can make normal calls using either the DV handset or an analogue phone connected to the green socket, your DV system is working ok.

You just need to ensure your alarm system is connecting to either the analogue green socket (via a male to male cable as previously alluded to) or DV via a DV adapter.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Thanks @licquorice and @Dazzman 

Appreciate your patience and apologies for any mistypes (E.g. I understand alarm connects to line and not phone)

My current situation:

1. I’m on FTTC

2. DV phone works for normal calls

3. When I test the alarm to dial out to my mobile, the phone doesn’t ring. But the DV handset has an engaged tone (as line is presumably in use?) Once alarm tries & fails I see a fault on the DV handset “unable to make or receive calls” - this resolves itself after a minute or 2

4. My alarm is wired to the BT phone socket

5. I’ve tried connecting the BT phone socket to my BT Hub 2 with a male to male phone cable (not shown in photos)

What am I doing wrong? And what role would the Adaptor play in this setup if I switch back to my non-DV handset.

I hope this makes more sense

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

If you are still on FTTC things are a bit more complicated as your copper line is still being used for broadband.

You need to install an extension phone socket adjacent to your master socket and transfer the alarm wires to terminals 2&5 of that. You then need to connect the new socket to the hub green socket with the double ended cable.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Thanks for the insight @licquorice 

What do I need to do if I move to FTTP? It’s now available to my property and I’ve been considering for a while. This might make the decision for me

Cheers

0 Ratings