cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Digital Voice and TP Link adapters

Go to solution

I am about to be switched over to Digital Voice and will need to use BT's adapters to connect my additional handsets. I already have a TP Link Powerline adapter connected to my Smart Hub 2 to provide wired broadband to my hi-fi system and to devices upstairs (via other, paired adapters). Are these adapters mutually compatible, or will the phone system interfere with the TP internet provision?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Digital Voice and TP Link adapters

Go to solution

@DBC 

The connection between the home hub and adapter is DECT,  it does not use the main wiring.

Why do you need more than one adapter anyway?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Please explain DECT?  I need adapters because I want to keep my existing phone handsets, which are expensive retro devices. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

@DBC wrote:

Please explain DECT?  I need adapters because I want to keep my existing phone handsets, which are expensive retro devices. 

DECT is a wireless type of connection used to communicate with digital handsets, or other DECT compatible devices like the BT Digital Voice adapter.

Where are your phones plugged into at the moment? Do they use tone dialling, or do they have an old mechanical dial on the front?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

DECT is the technology that cordless phones use, it is completely separate from your wifi.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

There may be a neater solution than multiple DECT adapters. Once the transfer has taken place you can disconnect the incoming copper pair from the master socket. You can then connect one of your extensions to the analogue BT port on the back of the SH2. This will connect all your analogue phones to the SH2.

But as above, that relies on them being DTMF. Pulse dialling won't work unless each has a converter fitted.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Thank you for your reply.

I have 5 handsets, 1 is plugged into the BT master socket (which is adjacent to the Hub), whilst the 4 others are plugged into BT extension sockets hard-wired to the master socket. These latter are all tone-dialling handsets, and are all less than two years old. The first handset, though, is more than 10 years old, has a dial rather than buttons and is, I'm pretty sure, pulse-dialling, so I'm resigned to having to replace it. The others, though, I want to keep, and it is these which will require the adapters. I'm just a bit concerned about introducing the DV adapters onto the same circuit as the TP Link ones - although if, as you say, the DV adapters don't actually use the mains wiring to carry the signal, I guess all will be OK? 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

Thank you for the reply - that sounds reassuring.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

It would be far simpler to just re-use your existing wiring as suggested by @rbz5416  rather than use multiple adapters.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

@DBC 

Not sure why you need the adapters, as you can connect the phone socket on the Smart Hub 2, to your existing extension wiring, once you separate the extension wiring from the master phone socket.

What does your master phone socket look like?

Keith_Beddoe_0-1645893497992.jpeg

Keith_Beddoe_1-1645893498036.jpeg