cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Digital Voice and emergency numbers

I'm just about to be upgraded to Digital Voice.

I understand you can't dial emergency numbers in a power cut.  But my mobile phone won't work inside my house (because of thick house walls). And I'm in an area that gets several power cuts in a bad winter.

I phoned BT (0330 1234 150) and asked what I could do about this.  I was told I could dial 112 on my mobile instead of 999 and that would work.

Is it me, or does dialling 112 magically make my house walls thinner?
(I do know that dialling an emergency number from a mobile will connect to any network but I can't receive any network inside my house. And if I could, why would 112 be any better than 999).

So what can I practically do to ensure I can make emergency calls when necessary?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Digital Voice and emergency numbers

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

If mobile will still not work if you simply stand outside your home so not shielded by thick walls then you can purchase a UPS which will enable to keep internet working and you can make calls.  There are numerous posts about this on the forum found using search

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 13

I'm not sure that standing outside in winter to call an ambulance is too practical (I'm an OAP). But a battery power supply seems to be a good idea. I'll do some more searching.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

I didn't realise that OAPs can't go outside in the winter but if that is the case you might find that if you are inside in the warm that if you stand at a window you will get a mobile signal.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Me neither, I'd better tell the missus we aren't allowed out in the winter. 😄

Message 7 of 13

I'm more concerned about having to find a way to get outside following a fall or illness. And of course either of those (and powercuts) are more likely to happen in winter. It's the main reason I kept my landline phone.
And no I don't get reception even at a window (I haven't a window that faces the mast).
The battery backup for my router does seem to be the answer though.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Do you presently have a cordless phone?

If so what do you do with that when you have a power cut?

You should complain to your power company about the poor service they are providing if you are subject to frequent power cuts.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

No, I don't have a cordless phone.

The power cuts are mainly due to overhead cables being brought down in gales. I'm not sure a complaint would be likely to improve that. In fact the overhead power line workers should be congratulated for the work they do, often in atrocious conditions.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

They certainly won't do anything if nobody complains and just accept it.

0 Ratings