cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Digital Voice on Smart Hub with BT WIFI turned OFF

I have a new Smart Hub 2 which turned out to less SMART than the previous HUB as it's about 10Mb/s slower!

Anyway back to this question.

The Hub is upstairs, the master socket is downstairs.  They are connected via a BT supplied Data extension cable.

I do NOT BT Wifi but my own Wifi Access Points connected to a Netgear switch which in turn is connected to the BT Hub.  The anasphone and base station is downstairs plugged into the master socket.

A  How do I connect a Digital Voice phone in the kitchen with the hub upstairs.  It says plug it in?

The guide for Digital Voice Adaptor says I must press the WPS switch on the BT Hub after making sure that the PIN is reset to 0000.  Questions:

1  What PIN must be reset to 0000?

2  If I've turned off BT HUB wifi will the WPS switch work?

3  Does the Digital adaptor need BT wifi to work?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Digital Voice on Smart Hub with BT WIFI turned OFF

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Digital voice from BT use the SH2 as a DECT base station AND NOT WiFi. So you can turn off hub WiFi.  If you get digital voice then your phone sockets will not work for calls unless you make adjustments. You can connect your existing phone to socket on back of hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 8

This "You can connect your existing phone to socket on back of hub" does that mean I can run a cable from the back of SH2 into the old phone extension wiring and use that to connect to the old handsets? [I reckon i'd have to disconnect the old phone ext wiring from the incoming copper?

Secondly what is the range of the DECT handsets?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

@ohforgawdsake2 wrote:

This "You can connect your existing phone to socket on back of hub" does that mean I can run a cable from the back of SH2 into the old phone extension wiring and use that to connect to the old handsets? [I reckon i'd have to disconnect the old phone ext wiring from the incoming copper?

Correct

Secondly what is the range of the DECT handsets?

How long is a piece of string? It will depend on the environment, but further than WiFi.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Re "How long is a piece of string" in my experience always certainly about 2" shorter than you need!
Message 7 of 8

@ohforgawdsake2 wrote:
Re "How long is a piece of string" in my experience always certainly about 2" shorter than you need!

Actually, it is always twice the distance from the centre to one end! 😃

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

That looks good, a bit of fiddling with wires in the kitchen socket but all will then be good.
0 Ratings