cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Digital Voice problem when ringing a number that starts with pre-recorded audio message

Hi

Has anybody had problems ringing a number that starts with a pre-recorded message before switching over to an options menu ?

We are having big issue ringing our doctors which has covid intro message followed by menu option. Not limited to one number, but to any number that has an intro message first.

When ringing, it connects fine, you have to listen to the message, then at point of switch to the next option menu 9 out of 10 times (recently) the handset is in limbo land. The message has finished but the phone does not go to option menu. So just get no audio, nothing. Line is active but no sound. Very recently tried 11 time is a row and still would not get passed the end of intro message.

Ended up using mobile which worked first go.

This problem as explained is not limited to our doctors number, but get same problem with others that use similar intro before switching to somebody or an option menu. Just sits there in no man's land, line open, no sound.

Have multiple handsets and tried them all. Same problem.

We retained the phones mainly for Doctor/Hospital but very frustrating that when we do need to use them just doesn't connect. WHY ?

Is this a SH2 fault, Digital Voice issue or bug ?

Already had the Digital Voice handsets replaced a few months ago due to issues which have mainly been fixed.

Still have one outstanding problem with SH2, about 1 in 3 times when powering off/on if using custom handset names they default back to Handset 1 etc.

Any help welcome

Thanks

Steve 

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Digital Voice problem when ringing a number that starts with pre-recorded audio message

Hi @SteveR1260 thanks for the post, I'm sorry to see you're having issues with your Digital voice handsets when pressing numbers on an options menu, I can appreciate the frustration this must be causing you. Do you have the keypad tones switched off? 

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Re: Digital Voice problem when ringing a number that starts with pre-recorded audio message

Hi,

Not having problem with options menu at all. This works fine.

When a company or number has an automated message then it switches over to the option menu or direct to person your calling, it's the transition between the automated message on the next step that is the problem. It's as if the number has a separate message system, and when finished it triggers the main answering system. 

Example is my doctors that has the covid message, then directs to an option menu to direct call to right person. My problem is at end of the covid message the handset goes silent and nothing else.

The line is live but silent. This happens 9 out of 10 times.  When it does work (rarely) at the end of the covid message it does switch over to the option menu. If can get to the option menu it all works fine. Just cannot get there.

Using mobile it works 100%.

Previously had Siemens DECT phones and never had this issue. They worked 100%. It's a long story as to why we ended up with Digital Voice, but ever since had various issues. This one is a pain.

If needing to ring doctors urgently it's impossible as majority of the time it goes silent at end of the covid message.

The main reason for retaining a house phone was medical grounds, which I no longer feel safe retaining.

Mobile phone is more reliable currently.

This has happened ringing other numbers that have an automated message before switching over to an option menu or direct to caller.

The more I think about it, it has to be one of the following

a. SH2 problem as it has the DECT system
b. Handset, but have multiple and all behave the same
c. BT issue, could be but why did my older DECT system work 100%
d. Firmware problem with the SH2/Handsets, some incompatibility with the way some companies have their phone systems configured. Don't understand why 9 in 10 it fails then occasionally it does work.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

So you can hear all the options but when you try to select an option nothing happens and phone appears dead?  I have seen  this with a mobile and because the phone keyboard tones were switched off the recipients machine did not recognise your key presses and appeared dead.   I think this was what @NeilO  was suggesting

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Hi

No, not what you think

As explained any menu option call works fine, have no problems

its when an automated message system comes on first, where you have to listen THEN it switches over to a menu option

its like there are 2 systems. Where first is a message that has to complete then it triggers the menu options

its at the transition between the two that I have all the problems

i don’t know what systems company uses but this is my best guess

9 out of 10 goes when ringing our GP we listen to the automated Covid message it finishes and then the menu options should start. My problem is at the end of the Covid message the phone goes silent !!! It never goes to the next stage of the call, or it does with no audio. ???
never have problem with mobile

this problem has also happened ringing other companies. I assume they all have similar set ups

if ringing a number with an integrated message describing the options menu then never have a problem. Ie no initial long message.

it’s hard to describe fully, but very frustrating that it keeps causing problems

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Hi,

Anybody got any ideas as to the problem and fix ?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Hi @SteveR1260 

Have you tried using one of your old phones plugged into the back of the SH2? Remove the black sticker on the back and plug an old phone in, if the problem persists then it eliminates the DV handsets. If you can make calls okay with an old phone plugged in then I'd suggest that this is your short term solution.

If an old phone plugged in still gives you a problem then it can only be the SH2 or further upstream.

The few problems that I've had with DV have been solved by rebooting the SH2 but you've already tried that.

Message 8 of 13

Hi

long story regards phones, but no longer have an analogue one to try. Will try and borrow one to try.

let you know how I get on

steve

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Hi,

OK I connected an analogue phone into the hub and it work 100%.

So the problem is with the SH2 and/or Handsets associated with Digital Voice.

Where do you go from here ?

It is a long story where I was "forced" down the digital voice route which not going to put out on media. 

I don't have an analogue phone (borrowed this one) anymore as result of what went on previously.

I have advanced handsets and alexa one and both behave the same, problematic issue. All have up to date firmware.
Could it be the SH2 ? or handsets ?

Could somebody please advise what happens next as the constant issue is driving me and wife nuts. Plus we have to listen to long covid message before the transition happens at which the phone continues or generally goes silent (but still on line).

Actually had to ring our GP again yesterday and it took 9 attempts (about 15minutes in total, due to waiting for covid message to terminate every time). This is far from acceptable.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Hi Neil
Can you look at last entry
I tried analogue phone in SH2 and this worked 100%, no issues
So the problem lies with SH2 and/or the handsets.
I tested ring our GP surgery number.
As stated the analogue phone plugged into SH2 work every time.
I need the issue resolving
I'm having medical tests and various other things done and need this system to be reliable. It is more important now than ever.
PLEASE HELP
0 Ratings