cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Digital Voice reliability

I'm not yet on Digital Voice but I know it won't be far away as the emails from BT telling me it's coming are getting more frequent.

I have Halo 3+ and I'm told by BT that when my Hybrid Connect kicks in to provide me broadband over the mobile network because the wired broadband connection to the house is not working, Digital Voice will not work.  I lose the wired broadband far too frequently - I think several times per week.  For example, the HC kicked in 3 times in 2 days at the weekend.  The analogue landline continued to work every time.

This means, in my opinion, I am being forced to take an inferior service which is being trumpeted as better.

Does anyone have any experience or data about this reliability problem?

Thanks,

Chris

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Digital Voice reliability

It is not a reliability issue with Digital Voice, it is a reliability problem with your broadband service.

Message 3 of 13

Hi, @shed53 welcome back to the community. That's not good it shouldn't be dropping so frequently, are you on full-fibre broadband or fibre to the cabinet?

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Thanks for the prompt reply @liquorice

I understand the distinction is important. You’re absolutely right that the reliability problem I’m experiencing is to do with the broadband service. However, Digital Voice needs the broadband service to be up, so if broadband continues to behave like this once I’ve been moved to DV, my experience will be that DV is unreliable even if the central DV service is working.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Hi @NeilO,

Thanks for the reply. I’m on FTTC with copper between the cabinet and my house.

Cheers,

Chris

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

@shed53 That's what I suspected, do you hear any noise on the line if you dial 17070 and press option 2? 

Thanks

Neil 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

If your current PSTN phone service continues during your apparent frequent broadband outages , that fact eliminates the copper pair loop as the cause of your problem, and given the overwhelming cases of broadband outages it’s the copper pair that’s at fault somewhere , you must presumably have either a faulty router or your port in the FTTC cabinet has issues, you should report your broadband as faulty , as stated you must have a fault on your broadband.
PSTN phone working when broadband is down is pretty unusual and although you are obviously entitled to your opinion, DV will undoubtedly be more ( not less ) reliable, for example a single leg disconnection of the copper pair , close to your home would stop your current PSTN phone working ,whereas your broadband, and with it DV could continue to work , and although there could be equipment failure that can knock off broadband, ( as you presumably currently have ) there could also be PSTN equipment failure that could affect your phone , what’s more the PSTN equipment in the exchange is 30-40 years old and is now much less reliable that the relatively new IP network equipment

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

@NeilO no noise - perfectly quiet.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Hi @iniltous 

Thanks for the helpful and detailed reply.  I think your explanation and analysis make sense.

I've had fun and games with BT intermittently over the past 2-3 years but the situation has been stable for about 12 months now, with the caveat of the Hybrid Connect having to take the strain.  Mostly, I get a good service considering we're around 1km from the cabinet and 8-9km from the exchange.  I test periodically and my download speed is 55-60 Mbps.  

I'd like to have some rigorous data to challenge BT with so I can state confidently how frequently broadband fails and the Hybrid Connect kicks in.  I suspect the Smart Hub 2's technical log would reveal this information but I don't know what to look for.  When I have looked at the log file it suggests the logging function is verbose. Is there any guidance about what gets logged when broadband over the wire fails and/or when the Hybrid Connect kicks in?

Thanks,

Chris

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Filter the log on the WAN and then look for DSL link down events.

0 Ratings