cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

Digital Voice with BT Smart Hub 2 in bridge mode

Hi all

I am currently a residential FTTC BT customer. With my current setup that is working well for me, I am using using a Zyxel VMG8924-B10A modem in bridge mode that is next to the NTE5C downstairs. From the modem, I have a CAT6 cable going into the loft to my Netgear R8000P router. In the loft, I have a network switch to hard wire RJ45 ports around the house.

FTTP has now been made available in my area. We are using the copper landline phone at the moment. As a test, I have managed to source a BT Business Smart Hub 2 which I am able to put in bridge mode and directly replace the Zyxel modem, and so keeping the rest of my setup exactly the same. All is working fine with residential FTTC and landline phone.

If I do move to FTTP, from what I understand I am forced to use the BT SH2 to have digital voice. My queries are:

1. Will residential FTTP connect ok with the BT Business Smart Hub 2?

2. Would digital voice work with this BT Business Hub in bridge mode on a residential connection?

If this is the case, then I can simply get the ONT installed downstairs by the master socket, and plug in my main DECT phone into the SH2.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: Digital Voice with BT Smart Hub 2 in bridge mode

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 19

You can’t use the business SH2 to get residential Digital Voice. You have to use the SH2 you will be supplied with, which doesn’t have bridge mode. There are numerous posts about using the SH2 with your own router.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 19

I see...if I decide not to get Digital Voice, could I use the Business SH2 in bridge mode with residential FTTP? 

I am not sure why the residential SH2 does not have the bridge mode option....

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 19

"I am not sure why the residential SH2 does not have the bridge mode option...."

BT seem to want to force you to use the residential SH2 exclusively, if you want to keep digital voice.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 19

With full fibre the ONT, that will be fitted as part of the installation, is the modem. If you don’t want Digital Voice the Zyxel VMG8924-B10A, which seems to have WAN port, can be connect directly to the ONT with CAT5e/6 cable. So from your original post the existing CAT6 cable going to the loft can be plugged directly into the new ONT when fitted.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 19

If you don't wish to have DV, you don't need anything in bridge mode, the ONT is the modem you don't need 2. Just connect your Netgear directly to the ONT.

There would be no point in the SH2 having a bridge mode as if it did there wouldn't be access to the IP layer for VoIP in any case.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

@chrisjp wrote:

BT seem to want to force you to use the residential SH2 exclusively, if you want to keep digital voice.

That is correct because BT want you to use their DV on their system in order to be able to ensure that they can 100% support it, they need to have oversight and be aware of all the systems that they are selling to their customer. 

BT do allow other VOIP systems to be used on the BT network but they do not support this as they can not guarantee that they could fix any problems that may arise due to the differing systems and equipment.

Message 9 of 19

@dushanwrote:

2. Would digital voice work with this BT Business Hub in bridge mode on a residential connection?

The FAQ that you have been advised to consult seems to be all about the Smart Hub2. That may not be much help for the Business Hub.

As your subject suggests, you may be forced to go for a Smart Hub2. As others say, the bad news is that it doesn't allow bridge mode. But that is easily circumvented so that you can use a more capable router for the rest of the network.

I recently did this with a Smart Hub2 and a Netgear MR90 router. (The Netgear R8000P is getting a bit long in the tooth.)

The key is to set up the Smart Hub2 with a local IP address that does not clash with whatever you have the Netgear R8000P on. By default it will allocate itself 192.168.1.1.  That clashes with the Smart Hub2 which squats on 192.168.1.254.

I set my Smart Hub2 to use 192.168.2.1.

Then I went to:

• My Devices
  • Look for your router's IP address (in my case, it was 192.168.2.175)

After I connected things, I went into the Smart Hub2 

• Advanced settings
  • Firewall
  • Configuration
  • DMZ
  • On
  • Look at the drop down and pick the IP address that the Smart Hub2 has allocated to your main router

Since doing that all has been well. No conflicts between the two routers. (I have turned off the redundant wifi from the Smart Hub2.) Both routers are accessible using the a web browser and the graphical user interface (GUI) aimed at their IP addresses.

I have yet to be forced on to  Digital Voice so I don't know if that works.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

DV works fine, (so long as the SH2 is the thing connected to the outside line).

You don’t need the DMZ setting unless you allow unsolicited incoming traffic for gaming/your own server etc.  Normal browsing, email, TV and, (at least my), VPN work fine without.

0 Ratings