cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 400

Re: Digital Voice with different Router

Go to solution

@colbartramwrote:

Thanks for confirming the roles of BT and Openreach. Although BT was my preference for fibre broadband, I did look for alternative suppliers using the Openreach fibre as you suggest. However, after having 'nothing for your location' responses from SSE, Shell Energy, EE, Now Broadband, TalkTalk, Plusnet and Vodafone, I reverted to BT. The reality out here is that there is hardly any choice, for whatever reason.

I used Online Chat with BT and actually signed up during  the Chat because the agent said they would be able to supply a Master Socket and a splitter that would enable me to use my current BT phone.  I also had email dialog confirming I could use my Netgear router for internet connection, with full context of my account.  

When  the Openreach guy arrived to hook it up, he dismissed the Master Socket I'd been sent as obsolete, and when I showed him the Chat transcript he said the agent didn't know what they were talking about. He also had not  been made aware of the email dialog I'd had with BT confirming ability to use my Netgear stuff. 

So I was left with the opposite of what I'd been led to expect.

The connections between Openreach and BT seem ropey; I had texts hours after Openreach had left, telling me he would be there shortly.

I appreciate this is off topic relative to me wanting something different from BT's standard offering, I'm just an unhappy customer.

If you have been told by a Sales Rep as part of a conversation to sign up to BT that you can use something you can't actually use, you "might" have cause to complain you were mislead.  Have you tried to get out of your contract?

There are alternatives to the BT service, and BT now provide FTTP without landline (how you would migrate your landline away - so as not to loose the number - without it affecting the service, I am not sure).

Just a thought, depends how long you have been with BT for.

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 22 of 400

Go to solution
Been with BT here for twenty years. Haven't tried to get out of the contract. Am plucking up courage to reconfigure as described by @choppyc, as he says his set-up works perfectly. One day I'll understand port numbers.....
0 Ratings
Message 23 of 400

Go to solution

@kennyspark8574  Ont box to wan port of smart hub 2 then eth port 1 of smart hub to the wan port of upstream router.

Your basically bypassing the smart hub now, but you can still use digital voice.

you cannot change the dns of smart hub 2, but you can use 3rd on the upstream router.

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 400

Go to solution

got it working thanks to your help 🙂 all working perfect with my netgear r7000 flashed with advanced tomamato

Message 25 of 400

Go to solution

I will be trying this too when I get FTTP next month. So can you disable wifi on the SH2 and rely on your Unifi APs for wifi? Effectively the SH2 will solely be used for Digital Voice and nothing else.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 400

Go to solution
I fully agree with the concepts that (A) BT should help customers find a solution to DV should they wish to use a third party router especially as they no longer provide a phone service that doesn't use DV, and (B) that BT could do more to provide its customers with a basic understanding of the settings needed to connect via a third-party router. I have a fritz box as my third party router (same type as supplied by ZEN) and it works a treat except for DV. My solution? I divert calls to my mobile. I haven't used my landline for outgoing calls for eons but some people still have my landline number. And before someone slaps me down with a passive- aggressive comment, I have used other ISPs in the past who are more than happy to help with basic configurations. Again, if the passive-aggressive types want to know why I use a third party router, it is because (a) I don't trust BT but they are the sole supplier of FTTP where I live and (b) I don't want my service to provide free wifi to other BT customers. This is not me being mean but that I am not sure that I have total faith in the systems. Once other providers arrive I will switch but until then I have to use BT.
0 Ratings
Message 27 of 400

Go to solution

Yes, correct @elderflower 

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 400

Go to solution
Not clear to me (very basis user...) what is meant by "but you can use 3rd on the upstream router." I'm trying to get as knowledgeable as possible before implementing the configuration.
0 Ratings
Message 29 of 400

Go to solution
Remind me please what is meant by "flashed with advanced tomamato". Thanks!
0 Ratings
Message 30 of 400

Go to solution

@colbartramwrote:

Hello jamestrever.  Did you attempt to replicate the configuration that works for choppyc? I'm plucking up the courage to give it a shot and would welcome any guidance from anywhere...

Thanks.

I haven't tried this yet as we don't use our landlines, i was asking in case there was an easy option. Might give this a go over Christmas 

0 Ratings