cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 171 of 400

Re: Digital Voice with different Router

Go to solution

Can anything be deemed totally secure these days though? I suppose that the security is based on the exchange of credentials/certificates. Using alternative hardware should not automatically mean it's less secure.

0 Ratings
Message 172 of 400

Go to solution

@S_G wrote:

Can anything be deemed totally secure these days though? I suppose that the security is based on the exchange of credentials/certificates. Using alternative hardware should not automatically mean it's less secure.

BT Retail can only certify their own equipment is secure, which is why that its all they allow. There is nothing to stop people using third party VOIP providers, but BT Retail would not be liable for the security of those calls.

Personally, I do not have an issue with the migration to DV, it does not affect me at the moment as I am on an ADSL connection, by choice, as its plenty fast enough for two people living here. I use my own router, so migration to DV would cause some inconvenience.

0 Ratings
Message 173 of 400

Go to solution
Being completely honest I have far less trust in ISP provided hardware than the equipment I can source myself. In particular when it comes to security.
While I appreciate the need for ensuring security, BT has no more pressure to do so than other providers (as it was already mentioned). They have, however, to adhere to the Net Neutrality legislation. I have complained to the Ofcom, Ombudsman and notified my MP. I have nothing against moving to all-IP networks in principle. But not when this restricts my freedom - more so against the law.
0 Ratings
Message 174 of 400

Go to solution

Keith,

That the BT connection is totally secure is implausible, it currently seems to rely on security by obscurity, otherwise the design would be public. Designs of that type are often seen as a challenge and rarely turn out to be secure for long. It retains true that it breaks net neutrality regulations and the the notion that the router / voice adapter has to be combined is clearly not believed by Virgin Media. Nor does it seem to be demonstrated as necessary by BT in any way. It needs to change.

Message 175 of 400

Go to solution

There is absolutely nothing stopping you using a third party router and third party VOIP (with or without BT router)  if you so wish.

The only restriction is that to use BT's implementation of VOIP it is necessary to use BT's router. I fail to see how that breaks net neutrality regulations.

0 Ratings
Message 176 of 400

Go to solution
I do want to use BT service with an alternative router/network terminal. ISP shall not restrict hardware I use to access the service under the net neutrality rule and this is where they fail to comply.
0 Ratings
Message 177 of 400

Go to solution

Does net neutrality include voice service?

0 Ratings
Message 178 of 400

Go to solution
I believe it does.
0 Ratings
Message 179 of 400

Go to solution

To my understanding it does - in particular when we are talking about VoIP services (though traditional PSTN service did not have that issue).

0 Ratings
Message 180 of 400

Go to solution

In as much as ISPs can't restrict what VOIP system is available, which BT don't.

0 Ratings