cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 191 of 400

Re: Digital Voice with different Router

Go to solution

@Tejstarwrote:

Ok thanks, I figured that would probably be the case.

I'll need to work out how much we need the landline on that basis - it was a free option in the bundle, so figured why not take it. It's only my wife that uses it on occasion, I hardly ever use it. Might require a bit of A/B testing with SHB2 as primary vs Asus router as primary to see which is giving me the most stable connection. 

I use(d) a Ubquiti Dream Machine router plugged directly into the ONT (using PPPoE) as soon as I got FTTP from BT.  As it worked fine and gave me all the bells and whistles of the Unifi network I was reluctant to give it up just to use the digital phone system that BT are foisting on me.  HOWEVER, I decided to at least try the SH2 as a conduit (i.e. plugging it into the ONT and plugging my UDM into that) if nothing other than to justify my indignation at the whole situation.  To my surprise, the speed and reliability is absolutely no different.  So I have all the goodies of the Unifi system servicing my home networks, and I have digital voice through the SH2.   I am still indignant - but at least it works.

0 Ratings
Message 192 of 400

Go to solution

Did you disable DHCP on the Home Hub 2?

0 Ratings
Message 193 of 400

Go to solution

@Tom20001wrote:

Did you disable DHCP on the Home Hub 2?

I completely disabled everything.  I posted the steps earlier (looks a lot but takes about 5 minutes to set it up).  The SH2 does nothing at all apart from route all traffic to my own router (and provide Digitial Voice connections).

0 Ratings
Message 194 of 400

Go to solution
I have done similar with other routers including a HH5 to make them purely wireless access points and switches so it’s not rocket science.
0 Ratings
Message 195 of 400

Go to solution
@kpturner - That's comforting to hear with regards to no difference to speed and reliability. It's not something I've experienced when using BT Hubs in the past!

I assume using your method there is no issue in using your own custom DNS (Google/Cloudfare) etc? I know the HH's in the past haven't allowed this - I assume this remains the case with the SH2.

0 Ratings
Message 196 of 400

Go to solution

@Tejstarwrote:
@kpturner- That's comforting to hear with regards to no difference to speed and reliability. It's not something I've experienced when using BT Hubs in the past!

I assume using your method there is no issue in using your own custom DNS (Google/Cloudfare) etc? I know the HH's in the past haven't allowed this - I assume this remains the case with the SH2.

Yes my own router specifies its own (custom) DNS.  FWIW mine is using Google.

0 Ratings
Message 197 of 400

Go to solution
Cool - thanks for your advice. I'll give that method a try once FTTP gets installed and hopefully have a similar experience to yours with regards to reliability!
0 Ratings
Message 198 of 400

Go to solution

I decided from the outset that I didn't want BT's digital voice service, as I wanted to just keep using my ASUS RT-AX88U router. So, I opted to purchase two Gigaset VoIP handsets and the associated base station, which plugs into one of the Ethernet sockets on the router. The base station has a built-in answering machine, but I don't need it as my VoIP provider (Sipgate) has voicemail, which can not only be accessed directly from the VoIP handsets but from automated e-mails sent to my mobile devices. A nifty little feature is that both handsets can be on separate calls at the same time. Cool.

0 Ratings
Message 199 of 400

Go to solution

@SixtiesFan wrote:

A nifty little feature is that both handsets can be on separate calls at the same time. Cool.

As they can on BT's Digital Voice 😉

0 Ratings
Message 200 of 400

Go to solution

Modern technology never ceases to amaze me and it's all dependent on one vital component - electricity. That, in my view, has to be the greatest discovery of all time.

0 Ratings