Message 331 of 400

Re: Digital Voice with different Router

Go to solution

Your point being?

0 Ratings
Message 332 of 400

Go to solution

I am stuck with BT contract. But my latest thought is #####you BT you have messed me about so take away router, divert calls to a mobile number, and I will use my own router

0 Ratings
Message 333 of 400

Go to solution

See replies to me earlier ... I use Asus AX86 router and turn off the smart hub wifi.  I have Sky Q and 2 mini's and all works fine.  Set up as I was told and digital voice works fine.

Good luck

J

Message 334 of 400

Go to solution

Same here, using ASUS AX86U as main router with SH2 simply passing wan connection and providing DV. Everything on SH2 disabled with exception of firewall. A handful of specific ports being forwarded.

Sky Q is connected via lan cable but its WIFI is on channel 36 along with my router WIFI broadcasting on same channel.  Sky Q mini boxes as well. I have no issues.

On the SH2 (with latest firmware),  you disable can disable WIFI fully which now includes the backhaul connection used for BT wifi discs and more.  This should then rule out SH2 wifi causing problems with your Sky Q box.

juiceof2limes_0-1669017083384.png

However, I fail to see why Sky Q would reboot if there was any kind of network issue. You sure it's not the Sky Q box that is the problem / developing a hardware fault that is a causing a reboot now and then?

Message 335 of 400

Go to solution

@Mrlewisukwrote:

Sorry if I sound like a tech but I have spent years setting up routers and internet and electrics as i am an electrician engineer 30+ years and was doing it before you even had a pc

Don't mind Liquorice and his dismissive comments.  He's got 34 pages of this thread invested in telling people that they're wrong and BT is right.  He's a really, really helpful chap in many threads of this forum, but this one seems to have got him into "computer says no" mode.     😊

0 Ratings
Message 336 of 400

Go to solution

Not sure what you are getting at. I'm just stating the facts.

The fact is Digital Voice can only be provided by one of 2 ways.

1. The BT SH2 connected as the first device to the ONT,any third party kit has to be connected downstream of the SH2

2. By a very convoluted method that very few people will be bothered to implement.

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/bt-digital-voice-and-3rd-party-routers/142125

Message 337 of 400

Go to solution

@licquoriceAnd even following method 2 traps you to a different make of router unless you have the expertise to do it with a different make of router.

0 Ratings
Message 338 of 400

Go to solution

Nice piece of work. Can't quite get my head around it to do it on TP-link router AX50

0 Ratings
Message 339 of 400

Go to solution

Idea!
if they can divert calls to other number, why can we not just have our online number to our IPad or IPhone etc etc you can have an online phone/email system much better than home phone?

0 Ratings
Message 340 of 400

Go to solution

@Mrlewisukwrote:

Nice piece of work. Can't quite get my head around it to do it on TP-link router AX50

Worry ye not!  It's nowhere near as complicated as that solution.

I'm grateful to Liquorice for posting the external link, it's something I wish he'd made available 20 pages back.

The good news is that there are several detailed success stories on this thread if you can be bothered to scroll backward far enough.  Good also is that IIRC they don't need anything as complicated as running a Raspberry Pi/Linux server on the same network.

I can't be certain if any of the simpler solutions  reference TP Link, but they are certainly not all Asus.  Just get a cup of coffee, scroll back through the thread and bookmark any posts that look promising.

I've made a simpler version work with SH2 and my own Asus RT-AX88U router in preparation for the supposedly inevitable day when BT kill my copper line and stick DV up my nose. 

But instead of that, BT kindly pulled me a new, replacement  copper line alongside the FTTP when my original copper line failed somewhere between me and the exchange 3 miles away.  I can't be complementary enough about the BT technical team or the (3rd) engineer who arrived at my door.   It's amazing what you can get sorted if you speak nicely to someone who isn't a call centre drone, explain what you need and why you need it.

I'd already put the SH2 in a bin bag under the stairs, hopefully to rot.  I fully expect to be out of BT contract and (only if absolutely necessary) moved to a VoiP solution with another provider by the time I would ever have to use the SH2 again.

Come to think of it, I'm glad we didn't get the external web link at the time, because I'd have been pulling my hair out trying to implement that particular solution.  Even though I didn't need it, I only persevered with the simpler setup because Liquorice was insisting it was impossible or infeasible and that the aformentioned DV was on a planned timescale that I could not deny or avoid.  

0 Ratings