cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Digital Voice without Smart Hub

Go to solution

I have FTTP with BT, but I use my own router from the ONT. Will BT provide any provision for Digital Voice for use with customer supplied routers? 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Digital Voice without Smart Hub

Go to solution

No.

Message 3 of 8

Go to solution
The analogue to digital voice conversion used in the SH2 is BT's proprietary technology and they show no signs of licensing it to anyone else. So if you want DV and just want to plug your old phones into the hub, you're stuck with the SH2, unfortunately.
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

You could just put your own router in access point mode, and then connect it to your Smart Hub if you really want to use it.

Or if AP mode is not an option, you can turn almost any router into one by following the generic instructions:

Make sure to turn the DHCP server off on your secondary router, turn NAT off, and assign it a static IP address that is on the same subnet but outside of the DHCP range of the SH2. 

Then turn off the wireless of the SH2. Then connect them via LAN to LAN.

That way your SH2 can be handling everything else except the shiny WiFi 6 that your newer router will be providing. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

This isn't about the proprietary technology or not.  Plus, there isn't any analogue to digital conversion, so not sure where you're getting this from.

Their technology is no different from any other offered by other digital voice providers. All they would need to do is provide the username, password and all the sip details. This was described before, but since then, BT have changed settings and so is no longer possible 😡 

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/voip/2896502-bt-sip-config-setup-c460ip-decom-homehub-kit.html 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

@Edinburgh-wg 

Did you miss the fact that your link is more than 16 years old & talking about a completely different product? DV didn't launch until 2020 & is a bit more than "changing settings".

Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

@Edinburgh-wg a few facts.

BT' s implementation of VoIP is proprietary and is only available by using a Smart Hub2 as the first device connected to line.

Not only does the Hub provide a DECT base station for DV handsets, it also provides an Analogue to Digital adapter (ATA) interface at the rear of the hub.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Thank you for letting me know.

Do we know what this 'proprietary' technology is, as surely it'd need to have some kind of standards etc.

I gave the link as an example that it was once possible to work out the details but no more. I thought I'd also implied it in the post.

0 Ratings