cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Digital phone - are my old sockets still required

Go to solution

Hi,

I have DV at my FTTC home.      I have  a router plugged into a Openreach Mk3 socket.    I have a phone that plugs into the back of my router.   I have digital phones elsewhere in the house.   All work OK.

Below my Mk3 router is a master socket that does not have anything plugged in.   Other rooms have sockets that do not have anything plugged in.     

I am changing all of my electrical sockets and switches for something more modern.     I have tried a phone into the master socket but  there is no dial tone.  

However I do not know if I can disconnect my old telephone sockets and blank off the wall plates.  Any ideas ?

Tx

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Digital phone - are my old sockets still required

Go to solution

The master belongs to openreach but the extensions are homeowners so you can do what you want with them

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Tx.   Would the old master socket be connected to the mk3 Openreach socket and used by it for any reason ?   

When supplying the Mk3 Openreach socket, would the engineer disconnect the old master and would a simple look behind the covers show anything.     I think I'll take off the covers off both the old  mk3 sockets and use a micrometer to perform a continuity test.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution
Any extension sockets are redundant unless you intent to use your existing wiring to create an internal network to utilise traditional telephone handsets. If you're not planning to do that then it may be an opportunity to get rid of the old extensions and wiring.

RIC9380
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Tx.  That will be the easiest solution for now. 

It would leave the original master socket in place until I look more closely.  As it is hidden behind a desk it will be out of the way and over time I could just forget about it.......:-)

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Can I suggest you completely disconnect any of the extension wiring from the openreach socket before you chop anything out as you could put a short circuit on the line that may cause you broadband problems. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Tx for advice.   I'll be addressing this issue early next week.    

0 Ratings