cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Digital Voice - Local Area code needed ?

Go to solution

Just setting up Digital Voice - If I call a local number I need area dialing code.

Local area - same Town - family and care home already have our number setup in their phone systems. 

When I receive a call from a local number - family or care home - will this still work IF their phone systems do not use the Area code when dialling our local number.  IF not they will need to know to change / update our number with the dialling code which they may not be familiar with.

Hence when receiving a local call  - will the caller need to now add the Area dialling code or not ? 

Thank you. 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Digital Voice - Local Area code needed ?

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

with DV just like when using mobile phone you need to use the area code.  short dialing no longer works and callers will no need to add area code

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

I have had a look at FAQ's  could not find specific answer, hence why ask this specific question, thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

@PJ32 

All callers should be using the full dialling code, this has been the case now for a long time. Most exchanges will add the national prefix, but its not guaranteed.

Local codes will totally disappear once the analogue phone network closes.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Elderly family member not on Digital Voice - hence their phone is setup without using local dialling code.

Old style phone ( not Digital Voice )  calling a digital voice phone will they still connect when calling from existing phone setup without using dialling code, thanks.    Local Area calls only.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

If they are BT Retail customers, then the local exchange should automatically translate the number, as it always has. So it should be presented to you, as the full national number, but its always worth checking, as this may not be the case, as you would not be physically connected to the local exchange and I suspect that the call may fail to connect.

If they move to Digital Voice, then they will need to dial the full number, so it would be a good idea for them to update the numbers stored in their phone as soon as possible.

I cannot imagine many people still using local codes.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

The people calling you wont need to do anything different just because you are now on DV , your transfer onto DV doesn’t affect them , but at some point they will have to start using full national numbers , rather than the ‘local’ number when they are migrated to DV ( if with BT ) or whenever their current provider requires it …TBH there are some areas where this has already been implemented , and has always been the case with mobiles.