cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Digital voice cannot contact family

Im hoping someone can help me on the forums and pass it on to a department than can fully deal with it as my 2 conversations with technical havent seem to have sorted it to alot of upset amd frustration . 

My mum joined Bt a month ago or so now and has been unable to contact relatives in southern ireland other than one family member . Unlike before she had no problems . 

My father has been v unwell recently and has dementia at a very advanced stage and calls to family is really important and causing my mum alot of upset and distress not being able to check on her relatives and them her and my dad. 

Its obviously something to do with digital voice but dont understand why it cannot be resolved and woyld really appreciate some help with this ideally from here as previous efforts have not helped. 

I really hope someone picks this up as I dont know how long my dad will be with us or infact other members of the family the other way. 

Many thanks Nora

Ps : I failed to mention these calls are made from the UK

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Digital voice cannot contact family

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

You will ned to be more specific than "unable to contact". Are you saying that only calls to Eire a problematical & if so, how exactly?

Likewise with incoming calls, what exactly is the issue?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

So the digital voice phone works for calls within NI but not calls to the republic?

Are you using the full international code prefix 00 353 before the republic phone number (dropping the 0 from the local code).

If there used to be a short code from NI to the republic maybe that isn’t working with DV and you need to use 00 353?

If you are using 00 353 maybe they have put a restriction on ‘international calls’ on your account by mistake?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Is your Mum calling from the UK or Northern Ireland? 

If UK then she will need an international calling plan

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Thanks for reply .  Initially nothing was connecting first call my mum made she got no where but she is terrible at explaining things . And I normally make some calls on her behalf when it comes to technical stuff as I have at least a basic understanding .

But 2nd call I made and was passed to technical that ask me specific numbers we were trying to call and managed to get calls to one member who we were using as a guinea pig and was available at the time to help . And that is the only number that we can call them to us and us to them . 

When she calls us the number says unavailable on the screen but can at least here it ring 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

There shouldn't be restriction after the conversation we had with them . Because we can contact one family member that they have somehow filtered through . Its v odd thinking about it why wouldnt any calls work if one is ?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Yeah these calls are being made from uk . I would think that international calls should be on . 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

@Noratheexplora 

Your last message appears to be incomplete so I can only guess at the point you were trying to make.

Full details of international calls can be found at BT_PhoneTariff_Residential.pdf

Pages 46 &47 show ROI to be an international call when the call originates from the UK whereas calls from NI to ROI are treated as local, hence my question in my last post.

" International Freedom and Friends & Family International rates do not apply to
calls from Northern Ireland to landlines in the Republic of Ireland which are
charged at standard calling plan rates."

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Yes I realised that when you mentioned it .  I failed to mention it previously stupidly 

0 Ratings