cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Digital voice disruption for the elderly?

I've just renewed my 84 yr old mums broadband contract and got roped in for the Digital Voice changeover.  The email said you don't need to be at home and an engineer will just put a box on the exterior of your house.  I read that you get free phones but we were only offered an adaptor.  I phoned to find out more - does she really need it? - and was told she'll have to have it eventually anyway.  Fair enough but also that BT will need access to the house and if she had a drive it may need to be dug up to link her to the main line!  She's quite deaf so it's tempting to forge ahead at the thought of "crystal clear calls" but she doesn't do disruption.  I can't find any info as to the mechanics of installation - can anyone help?  I need more info to decide whether I should cancel the order or am I just postponing the inevitable?

Thank you.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Digital voice disruption for the elderly?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Hi @chubbychops   What broadband product does she have and what broadband router (hub) does she have? For the vast majority of people, there is no need for an engineer visit. The work is done on the network, not at the home.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

What exactly has your mother agreed to , upgrading to DV and upgrading to FTTP are not the same thing , upgrading to DV simply means on the appropriate day the phone instrument is plugged into the router not the master phone socket , no work needed at the property, upgrading to FTTP needs an engineer to re provide service with optic fibre cables , making the existing copper pair service redundant, this with result in a new ‘box’ installed on the house wall , if the current service was underground and not in a duct , then excavation through the ‘garden’ would be needed to get the optical cable from the footpath to the house where the box ( called a CSP ) would be fitted.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Hi, many thanks for your reply.. She currently has broadband and a router - no idea which one!  She is due to get Full Fibre 100 and a Smart Hub 2..

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Hi, many thanks for your reply.. I've agreed things on her behalf.. I don't know what FFTP is but she is due to get Full Fibre 100, a Smart Hub 2 and adapter for DV.. so I guess from your advice there will be some digging to do.. 😞

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Full fibre 100 is FTTP

It will most certainly need an engineer to install. The external fibre will be provided to a box on the outside of the wall (CSP) and then an internal fibre run through the wall to an optical modem (ONT) which then connects to the Smart Hub 2 with an Ethernet lead.

Message 8 of 8

FTTP, Fibre to the Premises, or known as Full Fibre are the same thing.