cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Digital voice problem

We had full fibre 100 installed on wednesday, but there appears to be a problem with our phones.

Before the engineer left the speed test I ran was 149mbps, twice, which was exactly what I expected. At the time none of the cordless phones were working but he said that shouldn't be too long and left. In the meantime I did several tests and they were all 140+

Few hours later the phones started working and since then the speeds have dropped to 10-20mbps every single test. Speed to the hub is right (150) but not to the devices. I had been getting 70mbps on infinity so really unimpressed by this.

The phone base station was plugged into the dv adapter, so I unplugged it and ran a test and it was back up to 150 again. I've tried plugging it into the back of the smart hub 2 to see if it was a faulty dv adapter but the speed test drops back down to 20mbps.

2022-07-17_004808.jpg

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Digital voice problem

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

@tango2  Whilst it should not cause any problems as the adapters use DECT and not WiFi, mine is fine.

It would be worth trying plugging your main phone into the hub to see if that works without any problems, if so it does seem that the adapter is giving problems the only thing I can think of if the adapter is giving the problem is it too near to anything you are using with WiFi as DECT can sometimes interfere with WiFi although the frequencies do not overlap.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Fixed it - sort of.

The only way I get 150 is if I plug a micro filter into the dv adapter or the back of the hub and that is the same for both cordless and corded.

Not ideal but it works.

Edit - no it's not fixed.

I ran 4 speed tests and all 149. Called my landline from my mobile and after that all tests are back down to 20

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Flawless with no phone plugged in, drops to 20 when plugged in.

Tried corded and cordless, in the back of the hub with and without filter, in dv adapter with and without microfilter.

Don't know what else to try.

Could it be the firmware - v0.33.00.12274

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

I don't want to go to the expense of replacing 4 handsets incase the phones aren't the issue.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

some older style phones work better with the filter fitted and that often helps old phones ring so that maybe applies to you.  if so just keep using the filters

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

The filters don't make any difference. The only way I can get full speed is with the phones unplugged.

Wish I had never upgraded now. Consistent 70mbps on infinity now I'm lucky if I get 30.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

I doubt that it's the phones but a couple of things to try would be to deregister one of the handsets from the base & then pair directly to the hub. That bypasses your base station completely. If still the same beg or borrow an old analogue phone from somewhere to try.

My guess is that the SH2 must have some sort of QoS to maintain bandwidth for DV use & yours has gone a bit haywire, hogging nearly all the bandwidth. I don't think that's user configurable anywhere so a replacement SH2 is the quickest way to prove that. Either try & get BT to supply one or my usual suggestion is to see if you can pick one up cheap locally on Ebay or Facebook Marketplace. Once you've used it for testing you can resell for much the same as you paid t tuck it away as a spare.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

I doubt it's the phones too, both the cordless (set of 4) and the corded phone are less than 5 years old I think.

What is the best bt department to call please?

Edit - sorry you lost me a bit there. How do I pair directly to the hub? The engineer wasn't even going to set the phones up for me cos he said he hadn't seen the dv adapter before and I had to tell him what to do.

If you mean plug it in the back of the hub, I have already tried that.

0 Ratings