cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 41

Re: Emergency power question

It is just the copper phone line and illegally tapping into it to make a phone call.

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 41

Yes, thought it might be.  Nice to see him produce some backup for what he’s say though.

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 41

Hi deven 

The lan phone is just an analogue phone peaple use different names depending on were you are from we call it a lan line or lan phone 

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 41

Meanwhile the rest of the country call it a landline.

Message 25 of 41

@Blazertx Thanks for explaining what a lan phone is.

I worked in Telecommunications for over 40 years and thats a first for me. As mentioned I think you mean land line phone. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Message 26 of 41

@Blazertx wrote:

Hi deven 

The lan phone is just an analogue phone peaple use different names depending on were you are from we call it a lan line or lan phone 

Well that reply gets a minus ten.

Most folk in the real world call it a phone or a landline phone!

Message 27 of 41

Hi Stuart

It is the analogue line copper wire infrastructure that was very useful 

You can not do this now with the digital fibre line and does not carry its own power  you need more equipment now in order to make a phone call 

That's why I ask the question how to do it now with fibre and what the plan b now is if parts of this or all of it goes down ams with digital how good is the security of it 

I won't tell you how easy it is to tap your line now from anywhere with analogue you needed to be at the street cab or close to your house 

Not sure if the is an article you can read I am going back to possible 60s 70s were information was past down father to son back then tv was a bit boring  news and adverts gave you very good information

I was trained on how to do it back then  

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 41

I seem to recall you also need a warrant.

Message 29 of 41

The soon to be retired ‘PSTN’ network never had a design imperative that the ‘exchange’ provided the power for the telephone instrument, it was simply a result of the technology available at the time , and incremental advances in this switched network took legacy customer equipment equipment into account , the fact that calls could be made during a power outage at a consumers address was never the guiding principle.

There are now may products available that have the regulatory bodies satisfied that a switch to IP telephony is ‘safe’ , mobile phones are ubiquitous, local uninterruptible power supply’s are available, the IP network is fundamentally more reliable.

The problem with all these Luddites that want to maintain the legacy network is that the main argument is ‘If the power goes off I cannot contact the emergency services because I don’t have a mobile phone ‘ overlooking the fact that a copper pair phone can ‘fail’ and that self same person ( who doesn’t have a mobile ) won’t be able to make a call to the emergency services, it’s not like the copper pair network is inherently more reliable, the reverse is true , and for those that live in an area that’s prone to power outages ( which is the power suppliers issue ) and have health issues that require instant connection to the emergency services, then presumably would be better advised to live somewhere that doesn’t have frequent power outages that the power company are unable to address.

The majority of the OP is fanciful nonsense 

Message 30 of 41

All, em, "banter" aside, has anyone come across a reasonably priced UPS with a couple of 12v outputs that would be suitable to power the ONT and Hub for longer than a "normal" mains output version does?  Now, no, I don't mean the "melt overnight and burn your house down" type you can find on certain sites, I mean one specifically designed for home use, for that purpose. I have a UPS across mine as our power supply is prone to short breaks and it does the job, but it's a right beast of thing.  Given everyone is going to be in the same boat, there must be someone marketing an easy plug and play solution aimed at older folk or people in areas of frequent power outages ?

0 Ratings