cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Re: Successful number port

Is there any magic left @RobbieMac ? I have a similar issue.

My elderly mother-in-law has recently moved house & switched to BT (from Virgin Media) for her landline etc. We requested her landline number to be ported to her new address. The process has been complicated by various bits of the order being cancelled (by BT-associated outfits like Openreach) so we've been required to re-order. 

I've been receiving various texts - the most recent today - from BT saying things like "We still need to chat with you about your order. It'll cancel in 7 days if you don't get in touch". Over the weeks, I've spoken to several customer service people & have been told slightly different stories:

- initially , it was Virgin Media allegedly blocking the release of the number (so I've contacted VM and they say the number can be ported to new provider)

- today, I've been told that: a) the number is on a different exchange; b) it's over 30 days so the number cannot be used again; there's no point contacting them again because nothing can be done to retrieve the old number.

I'd really appreciate some magic or at least some clarification of why it's not possible. My mother-in-law is in her 80s, is recovering from a serious operation, and really wants her old number back.

Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

I should add, it's just the porting of the old phone number part of the order that hasn't materialised. Her new tv, broadband, & landline (albeit with a different number) are fine.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

is it more that 30 days since number was disconnected?  if so from other forum posts it is now to late to get number back

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 7

Thank you @imjolly  for the reply.  I've now found some of the other posts you refer to.

It has been over 30 days. Frustratingly,  the request was (repeatedly) made to port the number within that time.

Do you know of a good explanation of how a number becomes "lost" ie what happens after day 30 that renders it unusable? 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

The number port process is changing provider at the same address keeping the same number , moving home is not number portability,  number portability refers to providers not addresses,

If someone wants to do both ( change provider and move home ) , they should really change provider at the old address ( porting the number to the new provider) then , once the number is with the new provider, use the new provider’s home mover service to change address ( if both the old and new addresses are on the same exchange ) ,

I suspect the way the orders have been raised is why this went wrong and it may prove difficult, if not impossible to get the number back now.

Message 6 of 7

Thank you @iniltous 

Your suspicion is correct about the order process being suboptimal. I'm resigned to the number being irretrievable - I'm just curious why that is the case. Are there BT wizards casting the“Evanesco!” spell?

(apologies for getting the terminology wrong).

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Hi @ricklc and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry there's some confusion with the number port. I can check if we're able to get this back for you. I've sent you a private message so please drop me a reply with the details.

Cheers

David