cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Existing DECT phone with Digital Voice

We have BT  FTTP ( installed  in Feb 24) and have been notified copper landline is being discontinued this week and switched to Digital Voice. It’s a  fairly  old, now discontinued  set ( KX-TG6612E  base plus  two, though we no longer have the extensions attached.)

I was going to buy a new phone as I read somewhere that the ring on this might not work due to age but wanted to check first.

It would either be plugged into the back of the hub, though then a bit near to TV, or more conveniently continue in current place in same room, using the supplied adapter. 

We are only keeping the landline on for legacy use  so don’t need lots of options. 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Existing DECT phone with Digital Voice

Oops, typo in my message - should TG6621E
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Just try it & see.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

I have a KX-TGA6624EB quad set.

I was converted to DV 12 months ago.  The phone is plugged into back of hub through an extension lead and works fine.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Thank you for the reply ! So yours is equally old but there weren't any ring issues ? (Trying to remember where I read about pre 2015 being an issue). Now to consider whether I want to deal with the issues of power lead and phone-hub lead in view - not being overly precious about this but its a tricky one (old hub was in in different place)
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

I think you’ll find the real problem with not ringing is very old phones that use a mechanical bell.  The hub doesn’t provide sufficient current.  (And those sorts of phones went out with square wheels).

I’m not 100% sure, as I don’t use these things myself but I believe:

• it is possible to register the handsets directly to the hub.  Of course, you would lose any functionality provided by the Panasonic base station.
  • BT will provide a plugin adapter that you can connect the base station to.  This can be plugged into any power socket in the house, provided it is within DECT range.  The phones then connect to the base station by DECT and the adapter connects to the hub by another instance of DECT.

I’m sure somebody will correct me if I’m wrong here.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

as you are being moved to DV you need to request the free adapter at time of upgrade or asap after change by phoning 150

with old phones you may find that even with adapter the phone will not ring but may do if you use an old style filter in the adapter and connect phone to that.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

We’ve already got the adapter - it was given to us when the new hub was installed and put aside until needed. I don’t understand about the additional ring filter, though (if, indeed, it is needed) what is this and where does it go ? 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

It won't be needed.

0 Ratings