cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

FTTP - Transfer PSTN number

Hi 

I currently have FTTP with voice still on copper.

When I ordered the service, I was told that the voice was an add-on to my contract and it could be removed without affecting my existing FTTP contract (about 6 months left).

Speaking to BT now - they claim if I port away my number, my FTTP will cease.

Is this the case? - especially as I was told I was free to port?

I have today been sent an email for moving to digital voice.

Should I allow this move or port my number NOW, cease FTTP and take the hit on the exit fees? Will being on digital voice make any difference to my ability to port?

Any help and advice very much appreciated.

David

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: FTTP - Transfer PSTN number

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

@Freddy2023 

So yes you can remove the voice aspect of the service provided to you by BT Consumer and move to a Broadband only (SOGEA/SOFTTP) product. This would however mean completely removing the voice service aspect and releasing the associated number.

If you were to try and port the number today and not regrade to a broadband only product then yes your broadband connection would likely end up being ceased too.

If would be good if there was a process to temporarily hold the number when regrading to Broadband only for a third party VoIP provider to successfully make a number porting request for that number on your behalf. I'll flag for mods to see if there is a way of doing this.

Message 4 of 8

HI

Thanks for the very quick reply.

Thats great - I will proceed with caution and get the ball rolling!

Thanks!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

@Freddy2023 

Ok after looking there doesn't seem to be a straight forward way to port the phone number associated to a BT Consumer broadband and phone service package without triggering a cease request.

If you do regrade to broadband only and loose the voice service you too may not be able to get that number back.

It would be good if as I previously said that BT implemented a process to temporarily hold the number after regrading to Broadband only in case you then ask for a 3rd party VoIP provider to make a port request for said phone number 

Some previous threads:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Porting-digital-voice-to-another-provider-w...

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Porting-BT-phone-number/td-p/2191029

Message 6 of 8

Hmmm... so its  a risky move then!

Since posting earlier, I called their FTTP team in Dundee and they said I CAN port the number and retain the FTTP... as long as I point that out to the gaining organisation... I was told I would get a letter from BT before they proceed with the number port, and I can confirm at that point that I wish to retain the FTTP.

We will see!!!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

OP if you are still listening?  Was there ever an answer to the last post of this thread? Did you get a letter?

I am interested as I would like to port my number to VOIP, without a cease to my currently in contract FTTP broadband and any charges that would incur.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

@Freddy2023 Like @Stumpy21 I too am interested in the outcome - did you have any success with this?

0 Ratings