cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

FTTP transfer from BT to SKY - landline?

Hi

What happens with landline when move FTTP from BT to SKY. 

My email from sky includes my landline number but my leaving email from BT says I'm leaving my phoneline behind. 

I have tried to explain it to BT but going round in circles for an answer... it took BT 95 minutes to sort out family sim pac codes so can't endure any more pain discussing the transfer of landline with fttp ... seems so confusing... 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: FTTP transfer from BT to SKY - landline?

If you are on FTTP with BT ( and any BT phone service is either FVA or DV , delivered over the FTTP and not a copper pair phone service ) then migrating away from BT will end your association with BT , if you want your new provider to deliver a phone service ( which will have to be via their FTTP service ) then that is something you should have arranged with them , and if want them to arrange that your current ‘BT’ FVA/DV phone number is ‘ported’ to Sky , again that is something Sky will have to arrange, however if you are not porting the number and Sky have not used the appropriate process it’s possible that the broadband service and phone service will be ceased separately, the BT broadband via the migration order and the ‘phone’ service by default when it’s no longer possible to deliver a phone service, it’s very unlikely that any copper pair will be reactivated ( assuming you had a copper pair service at some point previously) to deliver a BT phone service because Sky only are to supply broadband, and no indication has been given to BT that the phone isn’t required.

If you only have a single port Openreach ONT and Sky will be delivering your FTTP service , then a BT service cannot ‘co-exist’, and once a property is FTTP , the copper pair is redundant 

Perhaps you can post verbatim the BT email 

Message 3 of 4

Thank you very much for your detailed reply and taking the time to do it. 

Yes I used to have normal broadband with BT upgraded 2 years back to FTTP 900 with modem box.  

Never have used a landline for about 5 years and still have the phone socket on wall too.... 

Sky email reads we will transfer your number and details my current number and calls it sky talk number ... but says it will run over Internet. 

BT extract from email below ..

What to expect on your bill

We won't send you a final bill when you move your broadband because you're keeping these services with us:

Phone line. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Hi @PAISLEY1903 welcome to the community and thanks for posting, it does sound like Sky is taking your number over from the message they sent you. All transfers are managed by the gaining provider so BT would not be able to make arrangements for your number to move even if there has been a mistake.

At the moment do you plug your phone into the back of your BT Smart Hub or is it still connected to a socket on the wall? Some customers are still supplied with a copper landline and have full-fibre broadband, if that was the case two transfers would need to be arranged by the gaining provider, one for the broadband and one for the PSTN landline. 

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings