cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 28

Hackers keep diverting my mothers landline

Go to solution

I am totally exasperated with BT.  They keep allowing hackers to call into BT and request that they set up a divert on my mothers landline to their mobile number.  The hackers then go on to hack her bank account, receiving the associated one time code on their mobile via the call divert.  This has happened twice now. 

How can we stop BT call handlers from doing this?  They are enabling the serial defrauding of a vulnerable BT customer.

Is it not possible to permanently block all possibility of call diversion on a BT landline?

0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28

Re: Hackers keep diverting my mothers landline

Go to solution

Hi. I have asked one of the forum moderators to reply to this one. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 28

Go to solution

If it has happened twice have you informed the police of the fraud /theft?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 28

Go to solution
Yes, but they do not investigate domestic fraud.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 28

Go to solution

What do you mean they don't investigate domestic fraud?

If someone is fraudulently accessing her account, a criminal act has been committed.

How did the hackers obtain the necessary account details to initiate the divert?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 28

Go to solution

Hi @fatbelly and welcome to our community.

I'm sorry your mums account has been hacked. She should be able to set up a password so no changes can be made but I'll be happy to take a look at that for you. I've dropped you a private message so please reply with the details and we'll take it from there.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 28

Go to solution
What I mean is that you report the crime, receive a crime number, and then no action is taken. They say this themselves when they respond, they tell you that they will log that the incident happened, add it to statistics, but will not be following it up because they do not have sufficient resources to investigate individual cases.
Message 8 of 28

Go to solution

Also, BT will not tell us what information was given over, or give us access to the call recordings!

We think they most definitely should! 

Message 9 of 28

Go to solution

@fatbellywrote:

Also, BT will not tell us what information was given over, or give us access to the call recordings!

We think they most definitely should! 

https://www.bt.com/privacy-policy/

Specifically - 

If you want a copy of your billing information, log in to your MyBT account or call 0800 800 150 and we’ll send it to you. (You must be the account holder to ask for this information). If you're a business customer, the number to call is 0800 800 152.

If you want to see what contact information we hold about you, you can also log in to your account. It’s quick and simple to access it this way.

You can also ask us for a copy of the information we hold about you using our online form here.

If you work for one of our corporate customers, where possible, please ask your employer – they’ll ask for this on your behalf.

It will normally take us up to one month to get back to you but could take longer (up to a further two months) if it’s a complicated request or you send us a lot of requests at once.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 28

Go to solution

@fatbelly 

I'd be inclined to have a chat with the ICO, both about the apparently cavalier way BT are handling your Mum's data & their refusal to supply details of the calls.

https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/contact-us-public/public-advice/

Could you also look at getting a mobile number associated with the bank account instead?