cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Help for a very elderly vulnerable person

Hello, I have been trying all day to speak to someone who can help with my elderly father's situation with BT.  

He has had an email to say that he is being moved to Digital Voice but that he should contact BT if he has no mobile phone or if he uses a falls alarm.  Both of these are true but I have been unable to get any help.  I did speak to a technical advisor in Ireland who said that Dad should have a different router and that we would have to discuss that with the Sales team to get a new contract.  I sorted out a new contract for Dad back in May but that was simply to agree prices for his landline rental, broadband, included calls etc.  The technical advisor seemed to be suggesting that I should have ordered a new router at that time, but I didn't even know such a thing was required.  The technical advisor asked me to ask Dad if he wanted to move to Digital Voice or not - Dad simple replied that he'd like to be able to carry on using his phone.  Without a mobile it is his lifeline.  I understand that in the event of a power cut he wouldn't even be able to call 999 with Digital Voice, not everyone has a mobile phone.

I have tried to register Dad as a vulnerable elderly customer but the phone line for that just gives a recorded message.

Is there anyone from BT reading this who might be able to help?  It is causing real distress and my Dad was almost in tears today 😞  I'd be very grateful if anyone reading this from BP could contact me.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Help for a very elderly vulnerable person

This may help. https://www.bt.com/help/here-for-you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

Hi @Gill9, welcome to the forum and sorry for the confusion and distress this has caused your Dad.

If his router was not compatible it would be automatically sent to as part of the change over to Digital Voice.

Did you manage to update  his vulnerabilities online ok?
Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

I sympathise with you and your Dad - we have just been through this process.  Rind BT on 0330 1234 150.  You will eventually speak to a person who will help you sort out Digital Voice for your Dad. He will need a battery back up which is free of charge, as stated by ofcom. An engineer should set the equipment up, just the new hub, battery pack. He is eligible to go on the vulnerable list. 
Getting everything sorted out was like getting blood from a stone. Good luck.

Message 5 of 14

@MS1944wrote:

He will need a battery back up which is free of charge, as stated by ofcom.

Ofcom never stated that, they said providers have to have a backup solution available, no where does it state this is to be provided free of charge.
BT do however in certain circumstances offer one for free, it's done to support customers, it's not been mandated though.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

I can give you a screenshot from the ofcom website that states otherwise - foc if no mobile or mobile signal.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

See link

Moving landline phones to digital technology: what you need to know - Ofcom

"Unlike some traditional corded analogue phones, a digital phone will only work in a power cut if it has a battery back-up.

If you are dependent on your landline phone – for example, if you don’t have a mobile phone or don’t have mobile signal at your home – your provider must offer you a solution to make sure you can contact the emergency services when a power cut occurs. For example, a mobile phone (if you have signal), or a battery back-up unit for your landline phone.

This solution should be provided free of charge to people who are dependent on their landline. If you are not eligible for a free resilience solution, you may be able to purchase one from your provider or another retailer – talk to your provider about options"

Message 8 of 14

No I did not manage to update his vulnerabilities online….how would I do this?!

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

The link I posted in message 2 will help you assuming you have read it

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

Thank you for your reply and the sympathy!

After 4 hours going round and round in circles on the phone and online, you are right - FINALLY I got to speak to someone in the Home Connection team who seemed to know what was going on and partially reassured me. 
She said she would add Dad to the vulnerable customers list and defer his transfer to Digital Voice. I still don’t know if his falls alarm will work and what the impact will be on his old copper wiring system. I appreciate techies weighing in with their responses but surely it’s BT’s job to help the customer through this?!

You are right - it’s like getting blood out of a stone. I would say more like living in a dystopian nightmare. 

0 Ratings