cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Help with BT Premium Phone with True Call not working

My parents have had the same BT phone (model 8600) for a few years, which has the True Call 100% nuisance blocker functionality, where callers need to announce who they are before they call is transferred. 

Recently the phone stopped allowing them to accept incoming announced calls. Usually, after the caller is put through, my parents would use '1' button to speak to them. However the 1 button seemed to have stopped working, and the call would just ring out. 

We assumed this may be down to a faulty handset, so we replaced it with a new one which is an updated model as the one they had previously (090632). However the issue is still present! They can accept calls from known callers in their directory, can ring out with no issue, however they cannot accept an announced call using '1'.

The fact they have had the same issues with 2 handsets suggests they are not the problem. The fact that they can ring out / accept known numbers suggests that its not a line issue. However I am not sure how the True Call functionality works / how the announced calls are controlled and connected.

Their landline is managed by Now TV - so I am having an issue between them and BT on who can advise / check this, and as True Call just provide  the software to BT (I assume) I cannot speak to them to query this.

I also tested their old handset on my landline and although I have reset it and set it to 'announce', withheld calls are coming through without any challenge as shown as 'Unknown', so I really am at a loss!! Please help!! 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Help with BT Premium Phone with True Call not working

@Wrighty78 the True Call features need caller display to be active on the line, is that still being provided by Now?

Thanks

Neil

Message 3 of 9

Yes it is....

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

The Call Guardian (TruCall) functionality is wholly within the software in the base station & as @NeilO alluded to, only requires Caller Display to function. So how it can be failing with two different systems is baffling. Although reading back it's not quite clear whether you bought a complete Premium phone with base station or just a handset to connect to the original 8600 base?

If the latter then it's almost certainly a fault in the base station but if the former, then I really can't see how.

Message 5 of 9

Thanks  @rbz5416, it is helpful to know the true call software is in the base unit. I did purchase the full kit with a new base - however I did use the existing wire from the 8600 unit to connect the base to the main telephone socket (as the socket is hard to access). Could this affect how the software works?

Message 6 of 9

The cable either works or it doesn't, it can't have any other effect.

I really can't see how this is possible with another base unit. For what it's worth, I checked the call flow by calling my 8500 from my mobile & this is what happens.

• Call is answered by Call Guardian without ringing.
  • Caller hears request to announce themselves, then press #.
  • Call is transferred to handset & when answered, announces caller's name. Caller hears ring tone.
  • If no action is taken on the handset (to simulate what you report), the caller continues to hear a ring tone & the handset is silent. This doesn't time out but continues until either party hangs up. If the receiving handset hangs up them the caller in transferred to answerphone.

It might be worth confirming these steps happen in the same way in an attempt find an anomaly. It would also be worth checking to see if the other options work:

• 1: Accept call
  • 2: Always accept calls from this number.
  • 3: Block that number
  • 4: Send to answerphone

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Hi. Sorry to bother. Did you ever get this resolved? We have an almost identical issue to yours. We’re on Vodafone fttp with VoIP and advanced call blocker phones. For some reason when call blocking the phone doesn’t seem to recognise the caller has pressed the hash key and just repeats the message. Trying to work out if it’s the phones or the landline service. Thanks in advance. 

John. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

@zobby 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

You would be best asking on the Vodaphone forum as it seems more likely its their VOIP system not detecting the hash key.

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/

Message 9 of 9

I have done this also. They think it’s likely to be the handsets. I’m on the fence as either way it seems strange. I’ll see how I get on. 

0 Ratings