cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Hey BT, please offer a solution for digital voice without SH2 (faceplate/ONT). Any options?

Hey all,

This is basically a request for the manufacturer of a digital voice master socket or similar to split digital voice.

For those of us that dont want to use the Hub2 in any way. Obviously a lot of us want more comprehensive home network setups, especially as speeds start to breach 1Gb within the UK. (You know, VPN termination, VLANs, ceeling mounted APs...etc..etc..etc).

I am well aware that I can put a Hub2 into switch mode but its yet another device to power, another hop and in my experiuance, a drop in sync speed - especially for upload. This is not something I want.

I have now been sent two Hub2s in the run up to my 'digital voice transfer' which are sitting in the back of a cupboard unopened. Like most people, I dont really need a landline any more, but its nice to have a backup - and for alarm system notifications...etc.

Pretty please, give us some tech to complete this work at the fibre termination socket if it is at all technically possible without a full router. I'm not sure how smart the socket has to be to split the  voip data or if it can even be done. Or if it is possible to configure a 3rd party router to work with the VoIP data instead - it seems to me that this should be technically possible in order to patch to voip phones.

Perhaps someone with VoIP experiance can advise.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Hey BT, please offer a solution for digital voice without SH2 (faceplate/ONT). Any options?

I don't think it matter if it is feasible or not all that matters are BT prepared to make any changes and at present that seems very unlikely

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Re: Hey BT, please offer a solution for digital voice without SH2 (faceplate/ONT). Any options?

Hi @FazzaUK   Why don't you simply have broadband and voip services from two different suppliers?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

I could do this, for sure. But its just another subscripton. And when the Fibre900 already costs £70 a month, its frustrating this has to be the case when you're already paying for a service

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

@FazzaUK 

You could always go broadband only and the £2/5 you save can put towards your independent VOIP provider and then use any router you choose

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Do you actually need a landline phone other than as a "backup".  (Usually people call their mobile phone the backup to the Digital Voice phone but each to their own).

If you have a mobile and assuming it gets a good signal and you have an unlimited call package why pay BT so that you can use a landline phone with a paid for call package.

0 Ratings