cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Home Phone Saver 2020

Hi I have had Home Phone Saver 2020 since late 2017 and it's always been the same £21.99 pm all this time. Now this year it's gone to  £22.86pm.

I'm aware of the March increase but this has never been applied in the 6 years or so I've been on this plan. And had no notification of this. 

Any thoughts?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Home Phone Saver 2020

Hi @Clarkatron   Are you trying to catch up on 6 years of increases not applied to your account?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Err.....no. BT never increased this package. It was inflation proof. They told me that themselves. It was the same for everyone. My question is for other users of this. Have they also suddenly had a price increase. The increase equates to approx 4% so that doesn't tie in with cpi +3.9% increases in March.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

What?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

@Clarkatron - Sorry for the late reply, I've only just seen your question in my thread.

Yes, I'm afraid my Home Phone Saver Plan went up to £22.86 per month (on 31st March). Before that it had always been £21.99 per month, since my first bill in April 2019. However, unlike you, I did receive a letter from BT about a month before the change, informing me of the price increase. Are you set up for email communications from BT? If so, it might have gone into your Junk folder.

I see that BT's (well-hidden) Home Phone Saver Plan page still gives the price at £21.99. However, the Tariff Guide gives the new price, as does the Landline Deals page (at the bottom, under Important information > BT Home Phone).

There have been a few different versions of Home Phone Saver since its launch in August 2014. The original iteration (withdrawn from sale on 6th June 2015) was called 'Home Phone Saver 2017', was priced at £19.99 per month (guaranteed until 2017) and had fewer features than the current one. My parents are still on that original plan and their price had remained constant at £19.99 per month, until 31st March this year (they, like me, received a letter notifying them of a price increase - to £20.78 in their case).

The current Home Phone Saver was launched in April 2017, priced at £21.99 per month, and was originally called 'Home Phone Saver 2020' - this guaranteed that the price would remain the same until 2020. After 2020 came and went, the price stayed the same at £21.99 and the package was renamed 'Home Phone Saver Plan'. I never thought it was guaranteed to stay at £21.99 forever; however, my understanding was that it was essentially an inflation-proof plan, excluded from BT's automatic annual price increases (which are calculated via CPI rate of inflation - currently 4% - plus an additional 3.9%). In the case of Home Phone Saver only the CPI rate of 4% has been applied with this increase (and rounded down to the nearest penny), so I guess we must be thankful for that. However, the timing of the rise is no coincidence and it looks like it will go up every March from now on.

The following link explains it and I think is similar to the letter I received in late February/early March:
BT Annual Price Change | Consumer Price Index (CPI) | BT

I guess it could be argued that we've been getting a great deal for several years and it's time for us to pay a little more. But it seems a bit unfair when you consider that Home Phone Saver is now the only BT plan on sale that doesn't include calls to UK mobile phone numbers (except BT Mobiles), and also that charged calls still carry a 'call set-up fee' (abolished on other plans). It does, however, have no monthly minutes cap - unlike most of BT's current calling plans (just a per call limit of 60 minutes, which I prefer as it's much easier to keep track of individual call lengths than monthly minutes).

Home Phone Saver was introduced to give some value to phone-only customers, who have been receiving poor value for money in recent years, compared to those who bundle with Broadband, TV or Sport. But with Asda Mobile now offering a monthly 'Talk and Text' bundle for just £4 per month, nearly £23 for 'voice only' landline still seems high.

Most of the (normally expensive) calling features that come free with Home Phone Saver will cease to exist upon migration to Digital Voice (and most of those that remain will be free on DV anyway - the exception being Call Barring), so I predict that one of two things will happen: either Home Phone Saver customers will be offered inclusive calls to UK mobiles, in line with BT's other plans, or Home Phone Saver will be discontinued and its customers migrated to Line Rental with Line Rental Plus and Line Only Discount, plus a Calling Plan (customers with such a set-up have always paid more each year, due to the automatic increase on Line Rental and Calling Plan prices). I'll be sorry to see Home Phone Saver go, not least because its single monthly price is so much easier to understand than the complicated set-up of individual components stated above. Losing the benefits of landline telephone, such as reliable sound quality (on a corded phone), constant power and useful calling features, will make the service no better than mobile in my opinion, so I may just ditch it altogether once Digital Voice comes in for me.

Message 7 of 8

Hi Tim and thank you so much for this detailed response. You're a man after my own heart! Between me posting the original message and your response I did cobble together most of the info you have provided me with. So you obviously delved into a lot of detail like me! Mine was set up in 2017 and last year I rung BT on the back of an email I'd had which said I was out of contract and giving a couple of options. One of which was to keep the Home Phone Saver. I believe the contract runs for 18 months but up until that point I'd  always just let it run. So thinking I should 'renew' I rung up and that's what they did. So obviously when this price rise occurred I thought it was possibly down to me renewing and if I'd left it alone I'd still be on 21.99! But thanks to your further investigation it seems that the increase has been a blanket increase across all versions of this package. I like you found BT still quoting 21.99 but then their latest tariff guide which I think is July quotes the higher price.  But in retrospect I've had the same price for 7 years! It will be interesting if they increase it again in March. Obviously they can't link it to inflation as that's just been outlawed. I myself don't have an internet connection but from what I've read we won't need one as BT will provide a plug in adapter? I've had no indication when this will be so I'm assuming not until at least next year? I could go on but I'll leave it here for the moment. Michael.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Hi Tim

Have you seen my response to your message?

0 Ratings