cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 29

Re: How good are Digital voice adapters

Go to solution

@licquorice 

In post #3 you said "The range of the DECT signal is better than WiFi but may not be as good as any existing DECT base stations you may have."

Do you know if this is deliberate, or just a known issue with these DV adapters?

Any info on expected range? My existing iDect cordless phones are spec'd as: "Up to 300m outdoors; Up to 50m indoors". (I accept that "Up to" makes those figure pretty meaningless though!).

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 29

Go to solution

I have no facts or information on the range of the adapters, I'm afraid. The statement was made based on the subjective views of a few posters that didn't think the range was as good as it should be, hence my use of the word 'may' rather than anything definite.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 29

Go to solution

1) What is the expected energy cost of running the Digital voice adapter monthly/annually?

2) I have paired up an adapter with my downstairs phone. Because of where it has to plugged in, my phone cannot be returned to its original position. This phone and the upstairs phone are older corded phones. If I want both phones in there original positions I will need longer adsl cables. Looking at the jack points on the phones I thought I needed RJ45 cables, I have been told by BT that the phone extension cable RJ11 will suffice. Is this correct?

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 29

Go to solution

1. No idea

2. I don't understand the question. The DV adaptor is simply a a device to convert a corded analogue phone into a pseudo DECT handset. It just has a standard phone socket that you plug an analogue corded phone into. It just requires a mains socket, nothing else.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 29

Go to solution

You can plug digital dect phones into it as well rather than the back of the router 

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 29

Go to solution

Indeed, it's simply a portable phone socket.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 29

Go to solution

I apologise, not being technical I'm poorly explaining the positioning of the phone in my living room. The long and short of it is, the power point where the adapter is plugged into is on the opposite wall to where the old bt wall socket is. The cable on my phone is just over one metre and the result is I cannot put the phone back to where it was previously. I can see only 2 solutions either I have an electrician install a new plug point, or find a suitability long extension cable from the phone to the adapter. Which would you advise and if it is a cable what should I be looking for? Many thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 29

Go to solution

According to a label found by Googling, the DVA draws 60mA. So that's roughly 10p a day. Could well be less when idle.

Rather than extending the RJ11 from the handset, just extend the other end with a standard phone extension lead.

rbz5416_0-1695845409658.png

Replacement long RJ11 to BT cables are available if you don't want to use an extension lead, but you have to ensure you get the correct wiring (straight or crossover).

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 29

Go to solution

Thanks for this thread. That extension lead thing looks very useful. In my case I am hoping my office digital voice will be simple as BT send me the fancy new hub 2 (I have an old hub) and I plug the landline in my home office into back of hub and that's it - that line has the landline number and hub on it, no position problem or anything.   Our second telephone number/account 2 flights up with a different hub, second bb account and with 2 numbers on it one used for cal  will be a different kettle of fish  but bit by bit thanks to the help on this forum I am trying solve my issues well in advance of the London  Autumn 2023 roll out. I like the fact my landlines use no electricity at all, not even a battery,  and are corded.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 29

Go to solution

@rbz5416 

"Replacement long RJ11 to BT cables are available if you don't want to use an extension lead, but you have to ensure you get the correct wiring (straight or crossover)"

I thought that straight / crossover only applied to RJ45 ethernet cables?

I have never heard of "crossover" RJ11 / "BT" cables - when might they be used?

0 Ratings