cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 29

How good are Digital voice adapters

Go to solution

I have just signed up to full fibre with telephone and, as yet, nothing has been done and the external and internal boxes have to be fitted. Where I want to have my phone is not where the boxes will be so I was thinking of purchasing a digital voice adapter . I cannot find any way that I can get one for free and suspect that my line will not show this to be possible till my service has started but I want one to have to hand from the start so my phone is conveniently located. But my real question is, how good are they and do you loose any strength in the signal by using one? As we live in a bungalow the router would not be miles away and there are no solid walls (just some kitchen tiles on the wall) between where the two would be placed. They are not that expensive so would buy one if they were efficient as it would make life a great deal easier.  

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29

Re: How good are Digital voice adapters

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 29

Go to solution

Digital voice phones are cordless DECT handsets and don't need to be connected or near to the hub. The hub is a DECT base station. If you wish to keep an analogue phone, then the adapters are simply Analogue to Digital (DECT) converters. The range of the DECT signal is better than WiFi but may not be as good as any existing DECT base stations you may have.

Message 4 of 29

Go to solution
So the new digital voice Alexa handsets are just connecting to the SH2 which is acting as a dect base station?
I have a twin pack dect set only a couple of months old, the hub is upstairs in an office while the dect base station is downstairs in the kitchen, I’ve bought the digital adapter in the expectation that the dect base/answer phone can remain in the kitchen, is this correct or is the adapter only for analog phones ?
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 29

Go to solution
Ok sorry I can see this is answered in the faq’s , looks like I’m ok.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 29

Go to solution

How good are the Digital Voice adapters? Not very, judging by many posts on here. Problems with ringing and caller display being the main issues, but I think someone said that fitting a micro-filter between the phone and the adapter restores ringing.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 29

Go to solution
Thanks for your response. What kind of microfilter is needed?
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 29

Go to solution

@Shepherdess 

Any microfilter will do.

The DV adapter only presents a two wire connection, and some phones need the additional "bell" wire to ring, i.e. three wires.

The missing third wire can be emulated by plugging a microfilter into the socket of the DV adapter, and then plugging the phone into the "phone" socket on the microfilter.

The microfilter has an internal capacitor which extends a third wire from the existing two wire connection.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 29

Go to solution

Thanks. So I assume I can use one of my existing microfilters.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 29

Go to solution

Yes.