cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 15

Re: ISP Equipment Compatibility?

Go to solution

I have a Panasonic cordless set with the base station plugged into the back of the SH2.  I can confirm that it works just the same as before DV.

Message 12 of 15

Go to solution
Hello. Not really anything to do with the topic, but thanks for sharing 🙂
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 15

Go to solution

Sorry, didn't read the original post carefully enough.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 15

Go to solution

The BT Digital Voice specific handset that connect to the base DECT unit inside the BT/EE smart hubs are GAP compliant.

I have paired the BT digital voice handset to a BT Premium Call blocking with answering machine DECT phone base unit.

So the BT Digital Voice handset is no longer paired and connected to the BT/EE smart hub but is connected to the BT Premium phone DECT base unit instead.

It then rings when the other BT premium phone rings and allows you to dial out but looses most of its other capabilities.

I have not tested but would be interested to see is if the DECT base unit in the BT/EE smart hub was also GAP compatible so non BT Digital Voice handset could connect. Again though if that did work it won't have any of the specific features that the BT Digital Voice handsets would allows and would just make calls in and out. Don't think it would even get access to the stored contacts

Message 15 of 15

Go to solution

Digital Voice is BT’s proprietary telephone service, it’s unfortunate that other ISP have chosen to use  the same name for their own IP telephony, as it’s likely to become a generic term for all IP telephony when it’s not .

BT DV has nothing to do with Openreach, it’s not a wholesale product made available other ISPs but obviously other ISP could  develop  or purchase an off the shelf product that operates in a similar way , no doubt there will be a common set of standards for IP telephony , but obviously BTDV is integrated into the SH2 , hence the complaints from some that don’t want to use the SH2 but are a BT telephone customer.

If BT supply telephone ‘BTDV’ instruments , that state ‘ compatible with BT DV’ , they may work with other providers IP services, but it’s possible that some ‘BT’ features that are integrated into the handset , may not work with other vendors versions of IP telephony , if they don’t work in Vodafone DV ( for example ) that’s of no concern to BT .

0 Ratings