cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Digital Phone migration with Alert system for the elderly

My 93 year old relative is due to renew their contract with BT and phone migration to digital will happen at this time.  Her current set up is landline and alert system are in her downstairs hall, and the hub and computer are in an upstairs room.  The BT type cable from the hub seems to go under the carpet to no doubt connect up downstairs somewhere.  At her age there is no way she wants any massive reorganisation involving uplifting carpets etc, and it's important that the landline and alert remain where they are and the computer and hub remain where they are.  I've read about the Digital Voice Adaptor.  The alert system people have said that their unit needs to be plugged into the back of the router.  My question is if we go one of these adaptors,  paired with the hub upstairs and then plugged it in downstairs next to the phone, would the alert system continue to work then as it does now WITHOUT being plugged into the router?

If not, what options are there? I've enclosed a diagram of current setup.  20231205-BT Digital Phone.jpg Thank you in anticipation.  

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Digital Phone migration with Alert system for the elderly

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

@Janflicks welcome to the community and thanks for posting, is your relative also getting a full fibre line installed as part of the renewal? 

The digital voice adapter essentially is a portable phone socket but you will need to check with the alarm provider to ensure it is compatible with the adapters, but from what you have described it should work. 

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Thank you for reply.  I'm not sure about the full fibre aspect, didn't notice anything when I looked at the paperwork, but will check when I'm next there and report back.  The alert people did say that an ASDL adaptor might be necessary, but that was when we talked about plugging alert system into hub.  

Cheers.  

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

@Janflicks 

where does the Hub cable connect after it goes 'under the carpet'?  does it not come out at bottom of stairs and connect either to master socket or the filter

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 7

Unfortunately I can't see where the cable comes out that goes under the carpet, and you're right, it should logically come back to the master socket but I can't see it.   My relatives contract with BT renews in February 24 but she got offer letters to renew now at a 'better deal' and going voice digital was part of this.  However having procrastinated for too long, the offer has gone away now and with it the problem (for the time being).  

I will try and have another look for the cable as it must go somewhere, but I'm not going to be pulling carpets up.

My initial question was about whether the Digital Voice Adaptor alone would work with the current setup of equipment as per my diagram, but I do understand that answers to the questions you have raised about the cable under the carpet and a previous question about whether fibre optic broadband was also on the cards may well be relevant and I'll investigate further.

Thank you for those who have responded but I think at the moment I'm at a dead end with this until I've answered your questions and the contract renewal is on the cards again. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Running cables under carpet is a very bad idea at the best of times.  For the safety of users and the cable itself.  I’d really consider removing that if I were you.

However, looking at the diagram, somehow the hub, (and it needs to be a Smart Hub 2), will need to connect to the master socket if you are on FTTC/VDSL or ADSL.  The alert unit then needs to plug into the phone socket on the back of the hub.

Basically, that boils down to a plug-in adapter downstairs, (assuming the alert unit will work with it), or a phone extension cable running to the hub upstairs.

0 Ratings