cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

ISP Equipment Compatibility?

Go to solution

Hello,

Just to preface this, I have no intention of leaving BT at all, but out of technical curiosity I have been scouting out other ISPs and how they are or might be implementing Digital Voice (as this is in the back office coming from Openreach, then supplied to the relevant Openreach-connected ISPs).

I came across this text on Vodafone's help section for Digital Voice:

If you have more than one handset, you’ll need to plug all phones into the back of your router or use a wireless phone that will work with Digital Voice.

Now, the emboldened part of this text could suggest that if you have a handset compatible with Digital Voice (such as the BT Digital Essentials/Advanced handsets) that they would also work with Vodafone.

Or, it could be just generally worded and Vodafone supply their own Digital Voice handsets, which means if you swap ISPs that to continue using those type of handsets, you would have to keep swapping them out all the time, even if you purchased them, which seems a waste.

Obviously, this is excluding the "just plug it into the back of the router" scenario which will work with any phone — I know this, but I am curious specifically about the "use a wireless phone that will work with Digital Voice". Doesn't specify "…will work with Vodafone Digital Voice."

Are the BT Digital Voice handsets only compatible with the BT Smart Hub 2/EE Smart Hub(Plus), or are they more universal than that?

Anyone know?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: ISP Equipment Compatibility?

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

I did ask Vodafone and was told they won't answer me unless I become a customer so… ha.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

The quick way to find out is to visit what used to be the BT Shop at https://store.ee.co.uk and you'll see that some of the handsets will only work with BT's digital voice, but many will work with other providers' systems.

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Hmm, yes, but that doesn't really answer the question because it is the ones that say "only works with bt digital voice service" that I am talking about. In the context of BT, yes, they are saying it only works with 'BT Digital Voice', but is it the case they work also with 'Sky Digital Voice' implementation, and 'Vodafone Digital Voice' implementation?

Let's put it this way. I get that it says 'only' but that could simply be a detractor. Really meaning only works with Digital Voice, and we are BT/EE so we are talking about our service. You wouldn't necessarily want to advertise it works with other services...

But, it could also mean 'only' in plain English, but if that is the case, what is the meaning of Vodafone's statement of using a wireless phone compatible with Digital Voice?

Does anyone actually know if these phones 'can work' with other modern ISP routers that offer the 'Openreach' Digital Voice service through their ISP?

After all, it would make sense to keep to a standard whereby if you swap ISP you don't throw your £50 purchase in the bin because it doesn't work with anything else.

However, knowing technology, it wouldn't surprise me at all if that indeed is the case… hence the question 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

As far as I'm aware, not only is BT's implementation of VoIP (Digital Voice) proprietary, it's implementation of DECT is also non standard. Hence I suspect BT's handsets will only work with BT Digital Voice.

Message 7 of 15

Go to solution
So, that being the case, what phones are Vodafone referencing that are wireless and work with Digital Voice? Are Vodafone doing their own handsets? Are Sky? It's difficult finding information on this, maybe because it's all so new. I am just curious about how this all works going forward. Will be interesting to see how it all pans out in the coming years. Perhaps the hub being a DECT base station will die out in years to come if you have to throw away the compatible phones every time you change ISP, as no one will use it going forward, favouring the more traditional cable-it-to-the-back phones.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

@wkirkmanwrote:
what phones are Vodafone referencing that are wireless and work with Digital Voice?

Any DECT base station that will plug into their router. The Vodafone router has no DECT so there's no way that a BT or any other "wireless phone" will work with it.

Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

So just generalised wording then. That's what I was after. If their router doesn't have DECT, then it can't take any of the phones. Thank you 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

If you already have or were to buy a DECT base station then I would expect the BT handsets to be able to connect to it. But only for basic operation of making or receiving calls, none of the advanced features would work.

But I've not tested this, just assuming that the BT handsets would be GAP compatible. I don't & will never have DV.

0 Ratings