cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Landline Number

We have just had BT installed - we still have our old digital provider as well because BT cancelled our first appointment and after calling the current one was the only one which could be organised.  So currently paying for two services which could be the answer to my query.

My telephone number on the BT landline has changed.  We have had the same number since I moved in over 20 years ago - and I would like to keep it.  How do I arrange this?  I have seen other forum queries about the same thing.  In the past, when switching, you would be asked if you wished to keep your old number - this did not happen. 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Landline Number

Hi @JKryle I'm really sorry, as the number is active and your BT service is now installed we wouldn't be able to put through a takeover request as this needs to be organised as part of the initial order. 

The number needs to be stopped by your current provide then made available for us to be able to place a renumber request, this needs to happen within 30 days of the number stopping on the current line. There are no guarantees this would work as there are factors outside of our control that could prevent a renumber request going through.

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Just to be clear.. with my initial order with BT I requested landline (so that must be the takeover request?) - I organised this initial order so that the BT line would be installed a couple of days before my other provider switched off.  BT cancelled this - no explanation just a text message and when I called my whole request appeared to have been deleted.  The lady who helped put it through a few weeks earlier than I had originally requested - my service with my other provider will not stop until next week.  BT was installed a new number which I do not want.  I want my old number back.  BT are getting an additional payment out of me because the installation was moved and I felt that I had to take it as there would not be another one available until after my disconnection from the other service which would mean I would most likely lose my telephone number.

I would be grateful if you could outline to me what I need to do to ensure that my telephone number moves to BT.  The telephone number is still mine - at this point - and therefore I would like to put in a request for it to be transferred on 26th May when my other service will be disconnected.  How do I do this?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Hi @JKryle, thanks for posting back. The number should become available shortly after it has been ceased by your current provider. Availability of the number is checked before an order can be placed. The 26th is a Sunday and with the Bank holiday on Monday it would be best to call in on the 28th and request a renumber of your BT Service to the number you want and post back to let us know how you get on and if you need further help.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Thank you.
0 Ratings