cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Landline number not ported from Plusnet when switching to BT Digital Voice

I have switched ISPs from Plusnet to BT and was told by BT that I could keep my existing landline number. After the switch on Friday, I find I now have a new landline number, which is far from ideal.

I phoned BT Customer Services and was advised that an existing number cannot be ported when switching to Digital Voice.

According to OFCOM it is a legal requirement that ISPs provide the option to port existing landline numbers.

I have advised by BT that I need to call back in a week or so to see if my old landline has been freed and is back in the pool so that they can then rename the new number back to the old number.

Seems a pretty appalling service to me and I can't believe that this is the approach that will be used when everyone has to switch over to digital.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Landline number not ported from Plusnet when switching to BT Digital Voice

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

was the number originally allocated to you by BT or did it start with another ISP and you ported to Plusnet.  if BT,  are you still at same address when you were originally allocated the number

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

It was originally allocated by BT. It is still the same address. I have had the number for over 10 years.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

The same thing happened to us - BT allocated us a new number when we moved from Plusnet even after assuring us we'd keep our original number. We had to open a case with BT and order a number change back to the correct number. That took 3 weeks to be actioned and BT charged us £25. We then raised a complaint, got the charge credited plus compensation for 3 weeks without our phone number.

While all this was happening, the old number was in limbo - if you dialled it, it appeared to ring (but of course there wasn't a handset on the end!) so I've no idea how many calls we missed.

In fact the whole transfer from Plusnet was a nightmare - 3 weeks without broadband, 6 weeks without phone. Having said that, it went fine for 2 of our neighbours.

I wish I'd waited till the Plusnet contract had expired and gone to anyone other than BT; when we changed, Plusnet would only let us break the contract if we went to BT. I'll be leaving BT when this contract expires - if not sooner.

I found the only way to get anything  resolved with BT was to contact the CEO. There's a team there that will pick up the email and deal with it, and they clearly have more authority than anyone on support, for example they can actually make Openreach prioritise a job!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

@geoffandbeth 

You need to remove the CEO email address as not permitted on forum - mods will delete it if you dont. The email address is easily available using google

If you number was allocated to you by BT and you then ported to Plusnet then you  tried to port to another ISP not BT then number would have been return to BT and not ported to new ISP   there are numerous posts on this subject

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

The number was with Plusnet for the 11 years we have lived here. I believe it was with BT before then.  When I was ordering the change of ISP from Plusnet to BT I was assured the landline number would stay the same. And it did for 2 neighbours who switched at the same time.

Why did you think there was another ISP involved? Can you not just accept that BT are failing to do what they are promising?

0 Ratings