cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 33

Landline phone cuts off when answered

We've had an issue with our landline for a couple of weeks. We have dial tone, can call out but when we receive a call and answer the call is cut off.  Openreach have tested 'everything' twice and say it's inbound BT, BT continue to send Openreach engineers. We're stuck!   we cannot even divert calls to a mobile.  VERY frustrating being caught between their politics.   Anyone else experience this?  We're thinking the only solution is to cancel the line.  TIA

0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33

Re: Landline phone cuts off when answered

Hi @neil121,

Thank you for posting. I'm sorry if you're having problems receiving incoming calls. 

Does this happen on all incoming calls or only on calls from certain numbers? Have you tried another phone, just to rule out an issue with the phone itself?

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 33

Hi Paddy,  thank you. the issue happens with all types of calls - so every incoming call.  Openreach have tested the single socket I have and the handset. It does the same when they plug their engineers handset in.  They have tested (twice), my handset, socket, line to house, line down the poles to cabinet, cabinet to exchange.   It would be very helpful if we could at least divert the line but unable to. Even the engineer couldn't do it.

Thanks again

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 33

Are you on PSTN or Digital Voice ( so plugged into the router or plugged into the wall socket ?)
If still on PSTN , it’s likely an exchange equipment problem and although strictly speaking not Openreach responsibility, given the solution is simply to get different equipment allocated and ‘rejumper’ the line to that ‘new’ equipment, it’s Openreach that perform that action…TBH , it’s not a common issue ( calls cutting of on answer ) but if the copper pair has been checked and is OK , and your phone instrument is OK , it only leaves the exchange equipment
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 33

Thank you...  PSTN as direct into socket.  We only use their landline services.   Openreach have been great - twice - and tested everything, They believe its the exchange but BT keep pushing it back.  We have a third appointment in January with Openreach which is a waste of time...  and we still don't have a phone!.. very frustrating.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 33

Faulty line card port in the exchange I expect.

As @iniltous has said, just needs connecting to another EN (Equipment Number), assuming that there is a spare ones that is not faulty, as its all very old now, hence the movement to Digital Voice.

Perhaps, with the "stop sell" of PSTN, they cannot raise a repair task, or there is no-one left who knows how to do it.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 33

Hi @neil121

Thank you for your posts and welcome to the BT Community!

I am sorry that you incoming calls are cutting off.  A tad frustrating - which I can fully appreciate.  It's disappointing that it's taking a little longer to get to the bottom of the issue.  We can pick up from here and stay with you until everything is repaired.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

Thanks,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 33

Thank you Keith, I very much appreciate your candid and honest response. That sort of makes sense now.  

Sadly BT couldn't provide us with fibre connectivity but an alternative provider could. Perhaps I need to flip the line to digital with the other service provider.  My only concern then is loosing our BT email accounts.

All something for me to look into.

Many thanks again and Merry Christmas

BR Neil

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 33

@neil121 

Make sure you reply to the private message from @RobbieMac 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 33

yes, have done....  thanks again