cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Landline problems with Truecall

Go to solution

Until recently my landline was working perfectly with a Truecall Call Blocker Unit. However, over the last few months the Truecall unit has started having problems detecting the caller ID, typically saying that the last call arrived without caller ID. However my Panasonic telephone that's connected to the Truecall unit detects caller ID okay every time.

So I suspected a faulty unit. Truecall, to their credit, have now sent me two replacement Truecall units, and also a replacement memory card for the unit, but still the same fault. They suspect a problem with my landline or the Caller ID setup at the exchange.

So I've run the automated tests (text PHONE to 61998), but no problems found. Could this be caused by a fault on my line? Has anyone come across a similar problem?

My setup is FTTP broadband via an ONT unit, but a standard copper landline.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Landline problems with Truecall

Go to solution

@tarbat 

Possibly a faulty port on the exchange line card, or a poor quality line, either of which could be reducing the lever of the CLI signalling tones which are sent just before the first ringing current.

I am surprised that being on FTTP, you have not been moved over to BT Digital Voice yet.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, it's as if the ringing is happening before the Caller ID.

So how do I report this possible fault? The text replies I got after texting PHONE to 61998 were all about checking wifi.

I'd love to be switched over the Digital Voice, but I though rollout has been postponed? Can I request to be switched?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Its a bit of a tricky fault, but changing the equipment number in the exchange may fix the problem. Getting BT to do that may be a problem, but a moderator may be able to help.

The DV rollout still continues for those customers without any special services shown against their line. I am not sure if you can request it.

Its best if I ask a moderator to look at both issues.

Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Hi @tarbat I'm sorry to see you're having issues with caller display as I appreciate this is casing issues with your Trucall equipment. I'll send you a private message so you can get in touch with the moderation team and we'll be happy to get this looked into.

Neil

Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Thankyou. Hopefully a moderator can help. I do struggle to think how I would explain this problem to a BT call handler.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Just a thought, having searched the forums a bit more.

Could Call Protect be interfering with the Truecall unit? There are other posts about it affecting telephones that have Truecall built-in, but only on a Digital Voice service. I have all blacklisting options turned off on Call Protect.

So I wondered if Call Protect on a standard copper landline can interfere with a standalone Truecall unit?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

If it was, it would affect your Panasonic phones, as you would get no CLI if Call Protect was intercepting the call.

The CLI signal is a slow speed 1200 Baud FSK (Frequency Shift Keying) within the audio spectrum. If the signal level is low then the TrueCall unit would not be able to decode it. It possible that the Panasonic phones have a more sensitive decoder.

Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

This is still being investigated by Openreach, although they've just sent a text asking if it's now fixed.

This is what happens when an incoming call arrives "without caller display information from your network", but then gets detected as 6 individual, separate incoming calls that completely confuse the Truecall unit.

Any other thoughts on a likely cause?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvmP8h-9Jlw

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Hi @tarbat 

Thanks for dealing with me on this case.

Glad to hear that after further investigation Openreach found an issue at the exchange level and it is now resolved.

Happy to help.

Cheers

Stuart

0 Ratings