cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Lost landline

Hello,

Just a quick question.if anyone could help would be much appreciated.

issue is had transferred over to virgin media and while the they were meant to have ported our house number over they failed to do so. As in didn’t even attempt. 

I know the original owner of the landline was BT so the number has went back to them. Have been in contact with Virgin they have said that they have been in contact with bt and they have said that they are unable to re activate the line so they can port the number over.  

The question I have is. If I return to BT retail as a customer for broadband & landline. Would BT be able to get our old landline number back.

My parents have had the the same number since the house was built 33 years and means a lot to them. 

Thanks

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Lost landline

@Simmons0001 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

How long ago did you lose your old number?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Was 2 weeks ago tomorrow.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

@Simmons0001 

The problem is that BT are closing the old PSTN network and new customers are being transferred onto BT Digital Voice and will be given a new phone number.

There is a maximum 28 day window when exiting PSTN connection can be migrated onto BT Digital Voice, before all of the existing PSTN routing is deleted. BT Digital Voice is carried over BT Broadband,

In your case, two weeks have already elapsed, so by the time all your broadband services were migrated back to BT, it would be too late. Also you would incur cancellation charges from Virgin Media, which could be very expensive.

Personally I would say you had no chance of getting your old number back. Its really Virgin Media`s fault for not requesting the number port.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Still within my 14 day cooling of period with virgin. if the old numbers are being deleted. Would BT not be able to assign me a number digital number but us the same digits as the last? 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

@Simmons0001 

I do not know the answer to that, apart from the fact that new numbers are not based on the same exchange areas, so I doubt it would be possible, you would have to ask BT. Its also possible that there may not be any spare broadband capacity.

Use the address checker on the page below, and post the results, but edit out your address details first.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

This is just a customer to customer help forum, everyone here, including myself, are just customers.

The only BT Employees are the forum moderators.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Hi @Simmons0001, sorry that the number didn't get taken over with the move of supplier for your parents.

Would you post the results @Keith_Beddoe requested as we will know if it's a full fibre connection then.

Have you contacted sales and tried to place an order and request the number?
If it's full fibre then the number may be able to be requested on the connection order.
If the number is not available to be requested on a connection order then it's unlikely to get number back.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Hello. 

When I don’t the checker. It is saying no data available for this number.

I assume it is full fibre connection as they installed the line up to the house and am able to get 1gb download. 

I have not contacted the sales team yet. As thought I would ask on here before I ring them today asking if it is possible. 

thanks 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Hi @Simmons0001, thanks for posting back. If it is going to be a full fibre install then if they can allocate the number on that order it should work ok. If they can't select the number then I'm sorry but it's very unlikely you would be able to get the number back.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

@Simmons0001 

Virgin Fibre would have nothing to do with a BT Broadband connection, as Virgin have their own network.

You need to use the address checker option, and not the phone number option. That should show any Openreach connections that are available.

0 Ratings