cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 30

Re: Mains power cuts and DigitalVoice

@gg30340 wrote:

Which means when the battery runs out the cabinet stops functioning?

Yes, but allegedly Openreach change batteries as they approach exhaustion.

However, the DSLAM and cabinet don't need to function for analogue phone service as that is just passed straight through passively.

Message 12 of 30

@gg30340 wrote:

Which means when the battery runs out the cabinet stops functioning?

Correct but I believe they either swap out the batteries as ops team is alerted when battery is low.

Another reason for FTTP as it's passive and the headend exchange I would assume have the usual rack of batteries and generators to keep the OLT and other equipment going. In both cases though individual properties would need to have some kind of way to continue to supply power the customer equipment when on VoIP voice service compared to the traditional PSTN network

Message 13 of 30

Thank you.
What supplies the cabinet? Is it the 50v supply from the exchange (with generator backup) or mains from the grid? If it is the general mains supply with small backup battery then is it possible that the broadband could fail in the event of a lengthy power cut even though the plugged-in telephone continues to work?
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 30

@andywaring wrote:
Thank you.
What supplies the cabinet? Is it the 50v supply from the exchange (with generator backup) or mains from the grid? If it is the general mains supply with small backup battery then is it possible that the broadband could fail in the event of a lengthy power cut even though the plugged-in telephone continues to work?

The fibre cabinet (FTTC) is supplied power from the mains grid but has a car like battery to keep it running for several hours in a power cut

Message 15 of 30

Thank you. Very helpful.
Any idea how many hours 'several' is? Our most recent power cut lasted 5 days.
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 30

Just in case , to clarify, when you are changed over to digital voice, even although the cabinet etc is powered in the event of a power cut, if you have FTTC broadband you will still need a battery back up to power your BT Smarthub or your digital voice phone will not work.

Message 17 of 30

Thanks. Yes. I believe that a 12v powerbank would do the job with a suitable connector. My concern is would the digital voice and broadband be reliable enough to warrant this approach? Can this be relied upon with the small cost of a powerbank for the router/dect apparatus or would keeping a corded telephone and a 50v line for as long as possible be wiser?
0 Ratings
Message 18 of 30

or simply put.

When moved to Digital Voice or a similar VoIP voice service provided by your communication provider if not a customer of BT, you will need some form of battery backup/power supply when there's a powercut in order to continue powering the Smart Hub 2 (router) plus those on FTTP (Full Fibre)  the ONT.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 30

@andywaring wrote:
Thanks. Yes. I believe that a 12v powerbank would do the job with a suitable connector. My concern is would the digital voice and broadband be reliable enough to warrant this approach? Can this be relied upon with the small cost of a powerbank for the router/dect apparatus or would keeping a corded telephone and a 50v line for as long as possible be wiser?

You will not be given a choice. The "old" phone system is being turned off in 2025.

Message 20 of 30

@jac_95 wrote:

or simply put.

When moved to Digital Voice or a similar VoIP voice service provided by your communication provider if not a customer of BT, you will need some form of battery backup/power supply when there's a powercut in order to continue powering the Smart Hub 2 (router) plus those on FTTP (Full Fibre)  the ONT.

Which was all said in message 3.