cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 22

Re: Moving Master Socket (without additional wiring)

Go to solution

@SteveG2460 

Do you know who installed the hidden existing cable between your master and slave sockets?

It might be possible for Openreach make a joint between the two cables at your existing master socket, but they might not be happy to use cable that they did not install themselves.

If you are not confident with following @licquorice's instructions, then as that work would solely be on the customer's wiring, you might find it cheaper to get someone locally to do it. Try a web search foe "Ex BT Engineer" etc - there are a lot of them about!

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 22

Go to solution

If @SteveG2460  has an unfiltered master socket, there is nothing to do. Simply unplug the router and plug it in in the lounge.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 22

Go to solution
Many thanks for your advice Paul08085
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 22

Go to solution

Why do I bother?

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 22

Go to solution

@licquorice wrote:

Why do I bother?

Some people just like to take the route that costs money because they think if you pay for it it must be the best route even if its not needed. 

Message 16 of 22

Go to solution
Maybe if you were a little more polite people might listen to you.
0 Ratings
Message 17 of 22

Go to solution
If that was directed at me you will notice that I thanked Paul608085 for his advice about contacting an ex-BT engineer and I will explore that route.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 22

Go to solution

If you simply answered the question I posed, there is a possibility that you don't need to contact anybody and simply unplug the router from its existing position and plug it in the new, but feel free to continue ignoring my advice.

Message 19 of 22

Go to solution

@licquorice wrote:

If you simply answered the question I posed, there is a possibility that you don't need to contact anybody and simply unplug the router from its existing position and plug it in the new, but feel free to continue ignoring my advice.

I was about to post similar but you beat me to it.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 22

Go to solution

TBH, I had assumed that @SteveG2460 would try just unplugging their router and moving it to the other phone socket before calling someone out - if they hadn't tried that already. (As suggested by @licquorice ).

OP: if you haven't done that already, then try it - you have nothing to lose, it will either work, (in which case, problem solved), or it won't, and you will just need to put the router back as it was and contact someone if you don't feel confident moving the connections, (post #4 in this thread), yourself.