cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Moving into a Flat : Working Line Takeover

My Father in Law is moving into a Flat that has a phone line. I want to arrange for him to take this over but don't know the number and the previous resident has passed away.

I have looked through the Q&A and this appears to be titled a Working Line Takeover but cant see on the website how to request this. Can you point me to the link I can do this for him ?

Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Moving into a Flat : Working Line Takeover

Do you know the deceased's name? They may be the on the directory:

https://www.thephonebook.bt.com/

If you can get access to the flat then dialling 17070 will give the number. Or ask a neighbour.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Thanks, if I have the number will that make the process easier with BT to take over the line ? I can see help for moving your existing line but not taking one over.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Not knowing the number is irrelevant, quite simply all you have to do is place an order for the address & that will do the working line takeover with a new number anyway

Message 5 of 7

What @garybs29 said is correct, when you want service at an address that already has service, there are 2 scenarios, you want the working line takover.

Option 1 - Working line takeover, you take over the line, you become the account holder, you have a new number that's been unassigned for a while - best route when you don't know the current number.

Option 2 - Working line transfer, you take over the line, you become the account holder, you have the same number the previous occupant had - not ideal as you get calls for the previous occupant.

Message 6 of 7

Given the number of reports we see of subscribers receiving messages that someone wants to take over their line & the one recently were a line was ceased without warning, I'd suggest that knowing the number should reduce the odds of a visit from Mr Cockup. Especially as this is a flat & potentially more susceptible to an addressing error.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

@rbz5416wrote:

I'd suggest that knowing the number should reduce the odds of a visit from Mr Cockup. Especially as this is a flat & potentially more susceptible to an addressing error.

Not always, addresses can be wrongly recorded on the database, transfer or takeover will still result in the current service user being notfied from their currect provider, the only difference between the 2 is whether the number is retained or not, everything else remains the same process.

0 Ratings