cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

My landline shows as different town when calling it

Hi guys can anyone assist I live in Wallsend North tyneside have been given a new landlines number all set up using digital voice etc however if anyone calls it comes up as Sunderland or South tyneside on their caller display?? Can this be changed 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: My landline shows as different town when calling it

Message 3 of 9

No

Message 4 of 9

Digital voice doesn't work in the same way as the PSTN and as such its quite likely that your "local exchange" is not local to you at all. For example my PSTN local exchange is just a mile south of where I live but now that I'm on DV I am connected to an exchange approx 7 miles to the west of where I live (and No, I have not moved house)

Message 5 of 9

For some reason, BT like to use 01917 (which is technically Sunderland) instead 01914 which will otherwise represent Tyneside...

Funny enough, my original DV was set exactly same, on 01917 and when I was due to move home, they told me as I can't keep my number and will get new one (hence thread here).

Numner, which I got after move was? 01914 :)))

But, while I don't see reason for this change, BT manually ported my 01917 back to me and have it again...

Technically speaking, area code is 0191, means, both are geographically correct...

You might try to call "Loyalty" team and discuss of there is chance to get 01914 number instead 

Message 6 of 9

Is this DV or the VoIP option before that , FVA ( where the ONT has a phone port and the phone instrument plugged into that rather than the router ) ?
AFAIK, with FVA ( fibre voice access ) the link to the local PSTN exchange code wasn’t necessarily available, it was the location of the FTTP head end (OLT ) that dictated the STD code on FVA  , one OLT can cover many local exchange areas , and could cross some PSTN STD boundaries, like 0191-7 and 0191-4 .

Some early adopters of FVA  ( in some cases ) had to change phone number , although telephony could continue on the existing copper pair if the original phone number was required, someone moving to a new build ( no copper pair ) from a close by property , couldn’t take the existing number with them as a ‘home mover’  customer because of this restriction.
With DV , for the vast majority, there is no reason why the same number cannot be retained when upgrading from geographic PSTN number to DV , in the same property, with the possible exception of FVA to DV and previously ported numbers.

Message 7 of 9

In my case, it was DV either at previous address (new service - Huawei ONT but not FVA used) via BT SH2 and same valid for new address, where on top of that it's new build and never had another broadband service before (Alcatel ONT without FVA)

Either side, might be useful if BT hold some sort of regional rules and not intentionally giving away 01917 (Sunderland) at clear 01912 & 01914 area, which is Newcastle and Tyneside

How much, as mentioned local area is in fact 0191 only in terms of Offcom numbering plan.

For sure, my Exchange and geographical area (Gosforth) is well so far from Sunderland:)

And moved home exactly 40 second doors to doors, with originally "can't keep your (wrong) 01917 number" and given new number instead (correct 01914) even move was FTTP FF900 with DV to FTTP FF900 with DV, on same exchange, just another PON 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

My moved from EE no landlines package to BT digital voice my number shows as 0191 7 my problem is giving my number to family if they call it it will sat Sunderland and they'll hang up 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

And now imagine, calling to work (01912) and telling them as you lying at bed sick, and they see “Sunderland” and know, you living at Gosforth :)))

Only one thing I might suggest is ask for “Loyalty” team, to try ask change number to 01914 (unfortunately not 01912 on DV at these days)
0 Ratings