cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 23

Re: New Advance Phone where to get advice on SETUP?

@clayto  Just to clarify, DECT is the cordless technology which has been around for a long time and previously required the base station to be plugged into the analogue phone socket.

Digital Voice also uses DECT technology but the Hub is the base station and calls are made via the internet using a technology called VoIP (voice over IP) rather than via your phone line.

The hub also has a phone socket which can be used to connect older analogue phones.

Message 12 of 23

@claytowrote:

Are we looking at the same document? In mine, page 6 deals with 'battery performance' and has a graphic showing a connection to a wall socket, no mention of Hub or of WPS. I did not need to use WPS on the Hub to establish a connection through it. I have just tested connecting to the wall socket as shown in the Guide pg 6 and it did not work, the phone displays 'Line Code Error' (so I am glad I did not follow it!). The wall socket became redundant when the engineer upgraded my Broadband to Full Fibre 100. It seems to me that the phone may have come with the wrong, ie. possibly out of date,  Guide?

Hi @clayto   You don’t need to do anything else, just plug it into the Smart Hub 2. There are now two ways that your telephone services are delivered. The original method via your Master Socket and now via broadband using Digital Voice. The phone that you bought envisions that you are still on the original method, so the instructions are correct. However you now have Digital Voice so the Smart Hub 2 is your new Master Socket and the original Master Socket is disabled.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 23

rbz5416 (bt.com)    So far I have not found your #4 post and links. Where should I look for it? 

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 23

In the posts in the thread.

I've copied the text from the post below.

You can't connect a DV phone directly to the Hub. It sounds like you may have the Advanced DECT phone rather than the Advanded DV phone?

Message 15 of 23

Hi @clayto   

Just to confuse you more, I don’t believe anybody has mentioned the DV Adapter. You can use this to move your Advanced phone to anywhere in your house utilising a mains socket.

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-digital-voice-adapter-100121-GN1T.html

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 23

Thanks all for the helpful information. I am on a steep learning curve because I seem to have bought the new Phone at a point where the system is undergoing some changes ,and it is not clear to me what my version is. I get the impression that there are three possibilities 1. the old setup in which the phone is connected to a wall socket (as described in the User Guide) 2. a newer setup in which the phone is connected to a Broadband Hub which acts as the base socket, via a cable 3. an even newer setup (possibly not yet universally available) in which connection is via  WiFi . If this is broadly correct, I have version 2. Please let me know if there is something wrong with this description.

I am glad to find my new phone system (v2) works OK with my existing setup of EXTENSIONS. I have 3 of them, connected using a splitter from the Hub to one room, then another splitter to 2 cables to each of the other 2 rooms. It has worked well for years, and is working now (I had not taken for granted that it would). Hence I will not need the device which plugs into the power sockets. Also I will not need (some) of the benefits of v3, such as Alexa 

I was surprised that the phone's battery capacity was low after having been fully charged but then not charged over night, though I understand it takes a while for the batteries to reach their best performance. Should I leave the phone on charge overnight, or even permanently?

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 23

That's not really the case.

There are 2 systems, not 3. Your system 2 is just a way of using old technology phones with your system 3.

Cordless phones have been around for a very long time, the new system incorporates cordless phones into the new internet based phone system.

All is explained in the FAQ

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Digital-Voice-FAQs/td-p/2207485

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 23

@claytowrote:

it is not clear to me what my version is.

I have twice pointed you to links with pictures of phones. You should by now know which one you bought, even though you don't seem to want to tell us. So I'm going to bow out now.

The only other consideration is why you bought an "old" analogue phone when you should have been supplied with a "new" Digital Voice phone or two when you were switched. Unless as I said previously you were sent the wrong one.

Message 19 of 23

I think there is some misunderstanding here, possibly on my part. I had followed the links which in fact took me to pages I have already seen and indeed in which I found the phone I ordered, What I have not found so far, anywhere, is anything labelling/naming the phone as anything other than a BT Advanced phone --- no other name, reference to type, version or whatever. It would be helpful if I could find such information. All I can add is that it was on offer at a price which seemed good value (and which I think has since changed), it is a single handset with answer capability, blocking, handsfree, etc. The technical issues regarding its connectivity are not explained, they came as a surprise and I appreciate the help in understanding them, especially as not only is it not covered in the User Manual which I now know is wrong (for the particular phone I now have), in describing how to connect to a wall socket. It was only by lucky chance I tried connecting to the Hub first, because it was the way my old phone was connected (despite being more than 30 years old) 

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 23

See message 9 of this thread.

You do not have a Digital Voice phone, you simply have an old analogue cordless phone. This will work just fine plugged into the hub.

If the phone was a Digital Voice phone, the base wouldn't have a cord to plug into the hub, the base for a DV phone is just a charger.