cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

No dial tone (PSTN)

Go to solution

I'm still on analogue, BT Retail telephone-only customer (which means I should be in the final tranche to be switched to Digital Voice, potentially in as late as January 2027). Yesterday morning my line was working fine (Reminder Call went off as usual to wake me up). By the time I came home, just after 6pm, I knew that something was wrong because Caller Display wasn't flashing or showing last caller number (and I know there were several calls, as that person subsequently called me on my mobile).

I've tried phoning my landline phone number from my mobile and hear ringing tone, which I assume means that the line is still active and ringing my line card in the exchange. Could there be a fault in the wiring that goes from the line card out of the exchange? My neighbours' lines are fine (both with BT). I cautiously removed the master socket faceplate to reveal the hidden 'text socket' and plugged a corded phone into it (one that I know works, as it's my parents' spare phone which I borrowed for this purpose) - still dead silence. The copper wire pair looks fine to my eyes, still tautly connected to the faceplate. Obviously I haven't touched the wiring.

I know I should call BT to log a fault (even a local engineer has advised me to do so), but I'm terrified that if the problem is with my 30-year-old copper wiring they won't bother to replace it - too much trouble and too costly for them, given that it's being phased out anyway - they'll just migrate me to Digital Voice early and then I'll lose all the benefits of a landline phone, including Reminder Call and possibly even my Home Phone Saver plan, which I'm resigned to losing in a couple of years but not just yet. 😢

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: No dial tone (PSTN)

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

If you are a phone only customer then report the fault to 03301234150 and you will get fault fixed. You cannot at present be moved to DV as you have no broadband connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

That's reassuring to hear. Thanks, @imjolly - will do.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Hi Tim not to do with your main question but I notice you use Home Saver plan like me. I've had it for years (since at least 2017). This year it's suddenly gone up to 22.87 having been 21.99 for years. May I ask what you pay?

0 Ratings