cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

No landline for 3.5 weeks

Go to solution

During Digital Voice switchover, BT unexpectedly switched my router on 5 January but are not due to switch my landline until 29 January.  This has meant I have lost my landline in the interim. BT say they cannot change the landline switchover date. In the meantime I have a PAYG mobile with unreliable mobile signal.

I complained and escalated this but BT closed the  complaint on the grounds of not being able to contact me by phone (!). I did manage to contact them by mobile from a different location and they just emailed back to reiterate that they are not going to change the 29 January date. They also said they could not re-open the complaint.

As a remedy I was verbally offered £20 compensation but I believe I am actually entitled to automatic compensation.

What is the best route to take from here? Is there any further escalation route and if not, what can I do to obtain a speedy and more clear-cut deadlock response to be able to take this to the Coommunications Ombudsman? Can anything be done about BT's inability to communicate other than by phone? Even chat doesn't seem to be available.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: No landline for 3.5 weeks

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

@hra29904 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

Normally the disconnection of the analogue phone line is triggered off once the BT Smart Hub 2 has downloaded the configuration for BT Digital Voice, and this would show within the hub manager.

What sort of BT broadband connection do you have?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution
I haven't tried to access the Hub Manager as yet; what do you need to know?
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

I do not have BT Digital Voice so I am not sure where you would look on the Smart Hub 2, but other forum members may be able to help.

I assume you have tried plugging your phone into the phone socket on the back of the Smart Hub 2?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

@hra29904wrote:

During Digital Voice switchover, BT unexpectedly switched my router on 5 January but are not due to switch my landline until 29 January. 

Have you plugged your handset into the Smart Hub 2 before the switch date? you only do that when you're on Digital Voice, until then plug it into the master socket (NTE)

Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

Go to 192.168.1.254 from a browser, you will see a screen similar to the below

DV.jpg

Alongside where it says "Phone", from memory you should see either 'Not Configured' or something of that ilk, if you see your phone number then DV has been provided and presumably your copper line has been disconnected but DV wont work until your activation date 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

Thank you all for the prompt replies and help. I'm logged into BT Hub Manager now and the phone section is showing ujp as "Not configured". Yes, I have tried plugging 2 different phones into the router and cannot get a dial tone. I was expecting this by now. The problem is the gap between already losing my original physical landline service unexpectedly on 5 January, and the cutover date of 29 January which BT say they cannot bring forward. I initially even reported the landline as a fault by text on 6 January but BT have since confirmed it is due to the switch.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

@hra29904wrote:

Yes, I have tried plugging 2 different phones into the router and cannot get a dial tone.

It doesn't need moving until you're on Digital Voice, plug it back into the socket like you previously have done, you're not on Digital Voice yet, only plug it in the Smart Hub 2 on the day of migration.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

@hra29904 

Why did you lose your physical landline?

Unless its been accidentally disconnected, or gone faulty, I would expect it to still have dial tone. Did you report it as a fault?

Are you sure that its not still working when you plug your phone in?

Even after the switchover to DV, the old line is usually made a "stopped" line, with a different number, that still has dial tone on it, but cannot make or receive calls.

0 Ratings