cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 31

No telephone line working for 27 days since Digital Voice new contract!

Go to solution

We have been Bt customers for years and we never had any problems with our Bt products. However, this year, when we renewed our contract, we were told we were going to be upgraded to Digital Voice. They sent us an Essential Bt digital phone and a free adapter. I am 84 years old and I can not cope with the digital world. On top of it I suffer from very poor hearing (I wear hearing aids) and have had two heart attacks since 2019;  that's why I leave any arrangements to my wife. She's been on the phone to the 150 customer services to sort out our phone line (our internet is working fine) for the last 4 weeks and we still have not had any dialling tone since 1st February 2024. We read all the comments on this forum to try to find an answer and followed instructions but we can not get any further than registering our new Bt Essential digital handset. We keep getting a message saying "there is no internet connection". This is not true; we do have the Smart Hub 2 working properly. We have read on this forum that all you have to do is to connect the telephone cable on the back of the Hub in the telephone socket. However, our new Bt Digital phone handset only has one cable to be connected into the electricity socket. Please, help! We are both desperate to call my Spanish family in Spain (as we have done for years) to support them__my wife's sister is having cancer treatment and she needs us to comfort her urgently. Please, help us! We are already suffering from anxiety and frustration! Many thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31

Re: No telephone line working for 27 days since Digital Voice new contract!

Go to solution

@Rosmy   Welcome to the Community.  Please don't panic.  

Once your new DV phone is plugged into the mains and the batteries are charged up you need to register the phone to your Hub as described in the User Guide.  The phone socket at the back of the Hub is only for non-DV telephones so don't worry about that.  Try following the instructions and let us know how you get on:  BT-Essential-Digital-Home-Phone-UserGuide.pdf

RIC9380

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 31

Go to solution

The socket on the back of the SH2 replaces the socket that your old phones used to plug into so try connecting your old phone (assuming you still have it) to that as a first step to getting you some telephone service

Message 4 of 31

Go to solution

if your previous phone was connected to the openreach wall socket then if you take the phone cable from wall socket and connect that to green phone socket of the back of the hub can you get a dial tone?

with the new BT digital phone you have is you enter 192.168.1.254 into the browser address bar that will take you to the hub interface then enter admin password shown on back of hub.  once into hub manager then you should see your phone number and should be active.  if active then select and then you pair the new phone to the hub  it connects using DECT not wifi

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 31

Go to solution

Hi, thank you ever so much for your help. I followed your instructions and I entered 192.168.1.254 into the browser address bar that took me to the hub interface then I  entered admin password shown on back of my hub.  Once into my hub manager you can see the telephone icon section/box in a grey shaded background colour (the other sections being active show bright blue colour). It reads "not configured"! Obviously it is not active. My Bt digital handset has been registered by the Hub but it keeps saying on the screen: "No internet connection".  However, our Smart Hub 2 is working fine and we have no trouble with the internet connection. Hence, we cannot fully link it to the hu yet! I am sorry to trouble you again. I find the whole thing very difficult. I am trying to help my husband but so far I am not doing very well. I am Spanish and most of the technical terms are beyond me. Once again, many thanks for your help! Gracias.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 31

Go to solution

If hub manager is showing phone not configured you can try restarting the hub and if still showing not configured phone CS 03301234150 and they should be able to help

If they don't help then post back and we can see if mods will help you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 7 of 31

Go to solution

As it appears you have a chronic long-term illness or disability, you might qualify for the Free BT Priority Fault Repair scheme.  The scheme means that if a fault develops on your broadband or landline service, you'll get priority over standard faults and it will be dealt with it as soon as BT can, 365 days a year.  Please call 0800 800 150 (it's a free call from your mobile phone ) and discuss your situation with a Guide.

RIC9380 🙂

Message 8 of 31

Go to solution

Thank you for your advice! We appreciate the time you have taken to help us. Let's hope it gets sorted  soon.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 31

Go to solution

As it would appear that your Digital Voice service has not been configured, it might be worth plugging your old phone back into the old socket, it might still be operational

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 31

Go to solution

Many thanks for your advice. We have already tried connecting our old digital phone to the Smart Hub2 but it didn't work either.

0 Ratings