cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 34

Number changed when moved to digital voice

Could someone please advise me - broadband activated yesterday and I had to agree to digital voice too. Broadband has a fault and not working, but my main concern is that our phone number has been changed  - discovered by accident when trying to call home.

despite being assured that we could keep our number, we’ve had this number for over 50 years.

I’ve reported the broadband fault and number issue has been reported as a crossed line,

Could anyone reassure me we will get our original number back please?

mum is 87, disabled and this number is her only link to outside world, no one can dial in at the moment as original landline is ‘unavailable’ 😢

0 Ratings
33 REPLIES 33
Message 2 of 34

Re: Number changed when moved to digital voice

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 34

@Sarahh11 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

Did you move to BT Retail from another provider?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 34

Thank you for replying…. No we have been with BT with it seems like forever. This has always been our phone number, might sound silly but as well as the implications of having to tell all family friends and agencies of a new number, it feels like part of our family history has been removed.

I’ve spent about 2 hours talking to various Bt employees, who have been of little help.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 34

@Sarahh11 

Not sure what the issue is.

I will ask a moderator to help.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 34

Thank you, any help and advise gratefully received, I’m so upset about this and trying to reassure mum it will be reinstated.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 34

@Sarahh11 

Just be aware.

If your broadband is not working, then your phone will not work, as the phone is now connected to the phone socket on the back of the BT Smart Hub 2, and not the phone socket on the wall, which would now just have a "stopped" number on it, which could be any old spare number.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 34

The landline is working, but dialling out and in as this new number. 

thank you

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 34

So is your phone plugged into the socket on the back of the BT Smart Hub 2?

Message 10 of 34

If you have been moved to Digital Voice, your old phone socket may have a temporary number for a while. Your main number is now accessed via the green socket at the rear of the hub as @Keith_Beddoe  says.

0 Ratings