cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Preventing landline crackling

Go to solution

I had crackling on my BT landline phone, so I separated and provided max distance between the phone cable and power cable and seemed to resolve it. However, to maintain the distance between them, it would be great if I could source some sort of ant-static sheath or sleeve to protect the phone cable - can anyone suggest any available solutions that are out there?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Preventing landline crackling

Go to solution

It is unlikely to be static that is causing the problem if moving the power power cable and telephone cable apart appears to have resolved it. 

Normal power cables (230/240V ac) create a magnetic field around them this magnetic field can then induce electrical currents in wires that run close by (just as in transformers where the wires a looped to crate more powerful fields). It is this magnetic field inducing noise into the telephone cable that can  produce the crackling.

When installing data/telephone cables it is a general rule that they must be kept physically distanced to prevent this sort of a problem.  In some cases replacing the data/telephone cable with a shielded version can help, but often rerouting one of the cables is the best solution.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
Thanks countrypaul ...... regards `In some cases replacing the data/telephone cable with a shielded version can help` - does anyone know where I can source such a shielded phone cable?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Just use a cat6 cable available from usual sources.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

something like this maybe amazon

belkin shielded rj11_.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution
Brilliant, many thanks!
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

I believe that you need to ground one end of the shielding, but I can't be 100% certain of the details, so you should probably check that - it may mean that the socket at one end needs to be of a higher spec (i.e .groundable) too.

Note that the cable illustrated above is a data cable with rj45 plugs and not a pure telephone cable. Not sure on he details of your telephone cable, if it is  BT cable to the master socket, an internal extension cable from master to save socket or a data cable.

0 Ratings