cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Question with VOIP migration -

Apologies if this has been asked before.

I am coming to the end of my BB contract in the next few months so when we migrate to voip (instead of land line number) can I get rid of the number/service completely, I don't every use and don't want it, just broadband only.

If yes then will this save any money off my monthly bill, need to save some due to the mad price rises by BT

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Question with VOIP migration -

when you come to renew your contract you can select broadband only and that will stop ability to make or receive calls on home phone.  the saving is about £3/5 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 7

Thank you, I will definitely do that, every little helps 😀

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

When you migrate to VoIP ? , what does that actually mean , have you been told you are being migrated to Digital Voice ( BT’s proprietary VoIP ) or you have arranged to move your number to a VoIP supplier yourself or just thinking ahead when the move to DV actually comes along ?
Some customers when told of moving to DV are asked if the want to drop telephony , so never actually get DV , the phone service is just removed ( and a small bill reduction ) as stated that saves a few £’s , if you independently have ported your number to VoIP it will cease your broadband or if you are just thinking about what to do , if you call to remove telephone that will probably recommit you to a new minimum term , whereas waiting for BT to ask if you want DV , doesn’t change your contract.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

I meant when I get migrated over, I had an e-mail from BT

Ah I see so my BB contract should not make any difference to if I have a telephone number or not.  Thanks, I will give them a ring.

to be honest I am prob going to leave BT anyway, too expensive now.  I pay 66 a month (with line rental), sky do a 500mb line for 38 with line rental, from what I have read BT are losing customers by the bucket full.

Shame I have been with BT for 20 years now but hey ho, greed I guess

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

On a similar post , I replied to another BT customer  leaving for Sky , using myself as an example, the difference between Sky and BT ( so what I pay to BT and what I would pay Sky for exactly the same broadband product , as both rely on Openreach FTTC ) was around £1.90 a month , Sky still a saving over BT  , but not much , and although I accept that an annual £20  saving may be decisive for some , it’s not sufficient for myself, given the ‘hassle’ of new email addresses etc .

I don’t know what you pay £66 for , it’s likely to be a uncompetitive , legacy , out of contract price , you may also have extras like Halo , but BT  fibre essentials ( the 40 Mb profile ) broadband without a phone service associated, is currently £29 a month ,  with Sky it’s £28 , strangely the exact match of 40Mb is £34 with Sky so I’ve used  their  best price which is actually the faster 80Mb service, my F2 ( so 80Mb ) is going up from £30 to £32, so the saving whatever way you put it is not  much , the problem is assuming that the BT price after a minimum term expiration is the best BT price , it isn’t , the Sky price is also more after the minimum term expires.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

If you go to MyBT > Your Products > Landline > Manage > Upgrade > Continue, it should show your current calling plan & what you're paying for it. Some like me are paying nothing for it, so there may in fact be no saving from ditching it.

rbz5416_0-1710493262838.png

Although I'm still bizarrely offered the option to "upgrade" to exactly the same package for £3pm...

rbz5416_0-1710493414637.png

0 Ratings